SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mangue_gw

Too many problems for one subject line! Please help!

mangue
17 years ago

I bought 2 dwarf citrus trees this past May: a meyer lemon and a key lime. I've had countless problems since then. 1st the lime dropped all it's leaves. They started growing back but the plant didn't fill out by the end of summer and it has seemingly stopped growing since then. The lemon tree grew very well, flowered once, but then the flowers died and no fruit came from it.

Now it is cold outside so I have the plants indoors, in front of a large window that gets direct sunlight for most of the day (or what sunlight there is, I live in oregon). Neither of the trees are growing at all, they haven't grown in a month or so. The leaves on the lemon started turning yellow. I noticed ants on the stems/leaves of both plants.

1) I realize the yellow leaves are a fertilizer problem. I have fertilized my plant, but obviously not effectively. I know this has been covered before a million times, so if no one cares to repeat I will go searching through the forums when I am able, but what fertilizer works best/how much/how often?

2) The ants. I have been reading the forums and the most common reason people cite is that there is some insect infestation. I have checked my plants and there is no evidence of scale/leafminers, etc. I used an organic pest deterrent on the leaves which has eliminated the ants from trunk up, but I still notice tons of them in the soil (it appears they have made their home here). My house has ant problems anyway... I don't know what to do. There are no pests to eliminate, my problem appears to be solely the ants, how do I kill them without killing my plant?

3) They aren't growing. Will the fertilizer fix this problem?

I would appreciate any suggestions. I am so frustrated at this point. Thank you.

Comments (2)