SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natvtxn_gw

Lend me your ideas.....

natvtxn
16 years ago

I need some thoughts on what to put/do above my bed.

{{gwi:617995}}

right side.

{{gwi:619365}}

left side

{{gwi:619366}}

Things I have....

Iron wall sconce.

{{gwi:619367}}

pressed tin boxes (2)

{{gwi:619368}}

iron plate holders (3)

{{gwi:619369}}

I also have a large piece of tin ceiling, maybe 6 to 8 squares, all in one piece.

One dirty blue square (original paint) of tin ceiling

Comments (20)

• keesha2006
    16 years ago

I like that lamp very very much..beautiful shade...are the walls white or off whiteor is that a very pale yellow, it so hard to tell from pics sometimes?

What about a shelf in green or a green patina color with some of the items you have already stacked or leaned on it...I think it needs some depth or warmth with all the lightness....a nice gallery style shelf might be pretty with the ceiling tile then leaned against the wall on it, and maybe the star and other hanging thing tucked or hung from pegs under it. A spindle or something heavy like that also....blend the textures, sizes and shapes still keeping it mostly whitewashed, but not all, letting the textures and shapes create the depth and variety.

Maybe instead of the shelf a large whitewashed plaque with a garden or nature saying on it, and the ceiling tile, along with the plate rack and a pretty garden plate or steppping stone hung in the garden plate rack.

A trellis might also be pretty if you can find a good shape.

An old window brushed up with a green color to match your bedding (which is gorgeous by the way).

Something with words might also be nice..a large plaque or even just a very large letter with your last letter green patina maybe?

A old garden gate? With some old tools or hardware for warmth and depth.

I really really love that little lamp...try setting it up on something stacked..old garden books...maybe that tin box the green plant is in...some kind of blocks, small old crate or wood box....I think its height need to be in a diff range than the headboard post it is near...then maybe off the side of it, over the nightstand, hang those three hook deal thingie you have...then hang something warm from that...nothing iron..tiny baskets, garden things...something cloth, or wicker, or ribbon...or green...just not iron...pretty.. I love the look, and soooo garden like too. I love your taste!!!!

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Keesha..great ideas. I just bought the lamp at Hancock Fabrics, on sale 30% off. I think you are right height and softness are needed.
    The walls are a paler shade of the cream of the bed, not near as white as they look in the pics.
    The bed is one of my most prized possessions. My DH built it for me in about 95.

I love the tin planters, but hate the fake boxwood.

I do have a pegged shelf that DH built. I had my nephew take it off the wall to move with me.

The "three hook deal thingie" holds candles. One holder is missing. I know I packed it, I just have to come across that box.

I was looking at the tin star (an xmas ornament) and thinking what is that grey thing next to it. I looked over to see, and it is my slinky. Several years ago I mentioned in a conversation that as a child I always wanted a slinky. That Xmas my darling grandson gave me one. I had it out xmas, so he would know I still have it.

Thanks!

• Related Discussions

Can someone lend some cabinet lead time perspective?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you for the insight sue. I sounds like some of this stress was brought on by myself since I waited until the rock was hung to finalize the measurements. In retrospect, I'm not sorry I did though, even if we suffer a delay, because I got to "sketch" all the cabinetry on the walls and actually made a few adjustments based on what I saw. We are at 5 weeks right now on our cabinet order with a target of the cabinets being done next Friday, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that slipped a bit. I guess I need to go push a little on our GC to do things in a different order than he usually does. I believe he usually doesn't schedule the painters until all the trim and cabinetry is in. Tile comes after that because he doesn't want stain on the grout. The trades come back after that for light and plumbing fixtures. I'm sure he will work with me. This pause is just killing me. To be so close to the end, yet so far away! ;-) Thanks again for sharing your experience.
    ...See More

Lending money to adult son/stepon - Whaddayathink?

Q

Comments (31)
    Finedreams, from the OP: >>Adult SS29 asked his Dad on Dec 15 if we could lend him $1000 for "just 30 days" so he could put up his security deposit on a house that he was moving his family of 5 into. Saying that he would get back his other security deposit (from the house that they were currently in) in 30 days, and then he would be able to pay us back. ..... It is [now] Feb 19. We have not heard anything [from] SS29.Four months is considerably longer than the 30 days promised. Even if SS did not get his security deposit back as promised, the very least he could have done was to let the people who lent him money and spent two days helping him to move and paint his new home, know what was happening, why the repayment would be late, and when he expected to be able to repay.
    ...See More

kindly lend me your designer eyes ....for a kitchen remodel Q

Q

Comments (2)
    When you say "the owners", exactly what do you mean? Is this your personal kitchen? Or one that you've been engaged to renovate as a.....what? Contractor? Consultant? Designer?
    ...See More

Please lend your expertise ...

Q

Comments (2)
    Perfect ... Thank you, thedecoguy. I didn't even give thought to flowers. The foliage is interesting all on its own. Will post an update once it takes off and (possibly) blooms.
    ...See More
  • DYH
    16 years ago

I would go for large objects -- maybe the tin ceiling pieces all of them?

Cameron

• Vikki1747
    16 years ago

I agree that large objects or several vinettes on the wall above your bed would be the way to go. You have allot of wall to cover.

I love wreaths and use them in several places throughout the house. They don't cost much to put together, especially if you get the silk flowers on sale. You could do a large floral wreath on one side above your headboard and several of your metal pieces on the other side to create one large grouping above the bed. Or make the wreath the focal point, you have lots of options. If you decide to try a wreath I'd use flowers similiar to those in your beautiful bedding. Don't use several different flowers. Try to use no more than 3 different ones and use muted colors.

Here are some pics of a wreath I have over my bed. This wreath is old (been up on the wall for about 3 yrs). I need to do a new one. Looking at this picture I can tell it should be fuller and needs more greenery, but you can see what I mean. I put in the yellow flowers because I have another spread that has yellow in it and I wanted to pick up on that color. I get my flowers on sale at Garden Ridge and just use a glue gun to adhere everything to a grapevine wreath. Looking at the pieces you have I think a "soft" floral wreath would look fantastic! Hope this helps. Vikki
    {{gwi:619371}}
    {{gwi:619372}}
    {{gwi:619373}}
    {{gwi:619374}}

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Vikki, that is just beautiful!
    I love that bed natvtxn - but why not use something you already have, like the tin tiles. I think they sound like they'd work great and add another punch of color. The bedding you have is so elegant.

We have mirror squares above our headboard. ON THE WALL people, we can't see ourselves, lol. I like them because our room is teensy - hardly room enough to walk around a double bed and the mirrors reflect light in the daytime. The size works well above the headboard.

GGG

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had not thought of a wreath. Yours is lovely! BTW I live within 15 miles of the town of Garden Ridge, TX. The original Garden Ridge Pottery was started there...so I have been told.

I added books and a green candle stick.

{{gwi:619375}}

Then I stoped at Homestead Handcrafts.

Cast iron mailbox

{{gwi:619376}}

Beadboard shelf with plate groove. I put my size 10 shoe there so you can judge the width of the shelf.

{{gwi:619377}}

I unpacked some boxes.

A painting my Mother did, about 10 years before she passed away.
    {{gwi:619378}}

My grandmother's baby picture. Frame, picture and the glass are 105 years old.

{{gwi:619379}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Ridge Lore or BS

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The flowers in the comforter are mostly hydrangeas. They opened a Home Goods store here in Oct. I paid + or - about $100 for the set, which included comforter, shams dust ruffle and 3 pillows.

I think I told y'all the story of our bed, but I will tell it again, since I am senile.
    He built it and I painted it. I sanded, primed, sanded, primed again, sanded and then painted it. The whole nieghborhood saw me out in the garage working on it. My friend asked her neighbor, "have you seen Kathy's bed?'. He looked funny and said, "why and how would I see Kathy's bed?" We all died laughing when she told us that tale.

• keesha2006
    16 years ago

very nice...your painting and picture are lovely. Real heirlooms. I like the beadboard shelf..so perfect with your bed...and the mailbox is pretty too....will you post your finished masterpiece. Pretty please... :) it will keep us midwest gardeners happy..since gardening is dead stopped for now.. :)

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As soon as I saw the shelf, I knew it was just made for "me".
    I bet that mailbox cost $2 or so when new. I could not resist it.

Yes, I will keep you updated. I don't remember in what part of the country you live.

We have yet to have a killing freeze. I have several roses still blooming.

• Vikki1747
    16 years ago

Your mailbox and beadboard shelf are wonderful, however, the picture your mom did is amazing. Do you have it hanging in your bedroom now? Your grandmothers baby picture is adorable. It would look wonderful with your other vintage items.
    Vikki

• Steveningen
    16 years ago

You have some beautiful things to make this a great space. I particularly love the picture of your grandmother and the oil painting done by your mother. It may be time to visit that photo of grandmother and get it reframed. The mat looks a bit threatening to the original photograph. I would take it to a proper framer and have a new mat and some conservation glass put back in the original frame. Of all the things you have, this cannot be replaced.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Steven

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vikki, neither were hanging, as I was waiting to get the room painted. Both were hung in the living room at my former house.

Thanks, Steven. I had not thought of conservation glass. That is cardboard type photo where picture and board are all one piece. This is why I asked for ideas. I would not have thought of having a mat put over it. I am fortunate to have quite a few old photos. My 2n great granduncle was a photographer during and after the civil war.

I think I will post some of the old photos in the gallery.

• Eduarda
    16 years ago

Kathy, for some reason I don't like to have heavy things hanging on top of the bed. I have also heard it's not a good thing to do if you live in an earthquake prone area (which I don't know whether your place is, but mine definitely is). So... I would personally display something that is large enough to make an impact on that wall, but it's not life threatening if it falls on you while you're asleep :-) A quilt comes to mind.

I also love the picture painted by your mother and that would be my second choice. Your grandmother's photo is priceless and I think it deserves a whole vignette just by itself. If you have other old photos that you cherish you could do a whole wall of them, but not above the bed. I would do it in a wall where people can get closer and examine them at lenght. Up a staircase is an obvious choice, but a foyer area, if you have it, would also be very pretty, all in neutral and sepia tones.

Eduarda

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

I really don't have any suggestions other than echoing what Eduarda has just said. We've had one or two earthquakes up our way over the years so I wouldn't put anything on the wall above the bed that is heavy or has glass. Even hooks and shelves can let go for whatever reason and you can end up wearing what comes tumbling down....Annette

• DYH
    16 years ago

The painting is so fabulous! Your mother was very talented.

I'm a huge fan of beadboard, but I'm also a bit claustrophobic. I couldn't have that shelf above my head in a bed. LOL I would use it in my kitchen -- want to ship it up here to me? :-)

Now, I would just have to take that mailbox and put it in my garden on a pretty post to hold my work gloves and small clippers -- for those impromptu times when I just have to trim something or bring in some flowers.

You have so many pretty and sentimental details to use! Go with what you love in that space.

Cameron

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I think something that picks up those colors in the bedspread,are they orangey/coraly color.Maybe a big wreath with that color and some greens.But like the others said,i wouldn't put anything heavy,then again i live in earthquake country. I have a wall quilt above my bed.

{{gwi:619380}}

Good luck and let us see what you do.
    Kathi

• squirrel_girl
    16 years ago

Natvtxn I am in love with everything you have for your room. You have beautiful taste and have collected some unique items that will give this room wonderful interest.

I hope you will consider painting the room to help draw attention to the character of your collection. Study your mother's painting for a midtone, neutral color. Maybe a color in the little cottage, the stones, or the wheat field. I'm thinking something that will draw out the age in the antiqued white pieces as well as your grandmother's photo. Your beautiful white bed is drowning in the light color of the room. I'm afraid the other pieces will as well.

These 5 rooms show the depth of color I think you should consider (or something deeper). While I'm a fan of neutrals, you could use any color that speaks to you. I'm a dud when it comes to technology and could only figure out how to link to one room. If you cut and past the URL into the address bar at the top, you should be directed to each room.

Have fun. I'm jealous of your collection.

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/slideshow/slideShow.jsp?slideid=/templatedata/bhg/slideshow/data/SSCottage_Rooms_03012005.xml&page=7

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/slideshow/slideShow.jsp?slideid=/templatedata/bhg/slideshow/data/1164998749105.xml&page=9

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/slideshow/slideShow.jsp?slideid=/templatedata/bhg/slideshow/data/1164998749105.xml&page=1

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/slideshow/slideShow.jsp?slideid=/templatedata/bhg/slideshow/data/SSCottage_Accessories_03012005.xml&page=3

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/slideshow/slideShow.jsp?slideid=/templatedata/bhg/slideshow/data/SSCottage_Accessories_03012005.xml&page=12

OK, I can't hold back the urge to be bossy. Paint it light moccha, continue collecting and decorating primarily in beautiful white/ivory, and use scant highlights of a darker color in moms painting. Something like the burgundy dots on the lamp shade, the green candle stick, or a navy ribbon to hang something. Now I've said my peace and think you should paint it a color you like.

Squirrel Girl

Here is a link that might be useful: INSPIRATION 1 of 5

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I almost collapsed laughing. I just had them painted. The bedroom and bath were lavender, and not even a pretty lavender at that.
    The pictures don't do the colors justice. My walls are the color of slide #12, with white trim. The bed is a darker shade of cream called Lucerne.

All of my things are a different shades of pastel greens or creams. My plan is to add color with tea cups, plates and water colors. I just have to decide what I want to paint. They will be some sort of florals still life or landscape.

• squirrel_girl
    16 years ago

I'm glad I tickled your funny bone rather than offended you. Lighting in a photo can be so decieving. That yellow color sounds very romantic and dreamy with the light colors of your furnishings/accessories. You have beautiful taste.

Squirrel Girl

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to give me more ideas. And no, you certainly did not offend me. I wish I had taken a picture of the lavender room. I love lavender, but the previous owner had picked a gosh awful shade and painted both rooms.

About an hour ago I remembered that some where I have pieces of yoyo quilt that my great grandmother started and never finished. I may have that mounted under glass.
    Mother's oldest sister died when she was 6 years old and Mother was 5 (1926). Grandmother kept some of her baby clothes and shoes in a trunk. After she died, Mother said no one would want these and burned them. By the time I relzed what she was doing it was too late. I did talk her into letting me have a bed spread that g. grandmother crocheted after she was blind. Now I just have to figure out which box that is in. Someday I will be through unpacking. It is a mess to move just before the holidays.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES