SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

Serbian Spruce 'Bruns' Picea omorika 'Bruns' - repotting question

Last year (summer) I bought a 4 foot tall, very nice looking but somewhat neglected and VERY pot bound Serbian Spruce "bruns". The tree itself is very healthy, and had obviously been pruned a bit for shape, but still largely has a natural appearance. Anyway, it was in a small maybe 3 gallon pot. With the move and all last fall, and being fairly busy so far this spring, I just now got around to repotting it in a significantly larger container. Anyway, I have a couple of questions for those who are far more experienced with conifers / spruces in containers, and re potting them, than I am. So I repotted it today. It is just BARELY starting to budbreak. Most of the buds are still closed but fairly swollen. Some of them are poking bright green new growth out. I was hoping to get to it before bud break but alas I did not. It was pretty badly root/ pot bound as well. I was able to cut into the root ball just a bit in places, and I got about 1" or so off of the bottom, mostly just soil and smaller more fiberous roots. There was clear evidence of some new root growth along the edge of the pot as well. The pot was probably 70% roots at this point. There were a few larger roots as well which did not get broken, and there was also one root which appeared to be slightly girdling the drunk about 1/4 the way around but it went back down into the pot and away from the trunk. Anyway, I did the best I could to loosen what I could in the root ball as described above, but I did not want to be too rough with it and cut too many roots. So, the root ball is still largely in tact. However the bottom is fairly open now and roots were lose and hanging down when I repotted it.

I repotted it in a close aproximation of Al's gritty mix. I used this stuff called "clay breaker" soil conditioner, which is maily made of fir bark, and a small portion of pine bark mini nuggets. Also used was Turface, and Gran I Grit grower size. So, basically the root ball is still largely in tact, save for the very bottom, and it is replanted in its new container in this mix. I guess my questions are as follows:

Was it too late to do this since it has just started to break dormancy?

Will it survive the trauma of having its rootball disturbed?

Is the planting mix I'm using the best for it?

I Any help / advice is greatly appreciated. I would really hate to loose this guy because I absolutely LOVE him. He is a beautiful tree so far and I'd like to keep him alive, in good health, and in a container until we decide on a permanent home. Ill post some photos of it below, including photos of its original container, its new home, and the mix I used. Unfortunately, I did not get any shots of the root ball while I had it out.

Planting mix I used:

{{gwi:687084}}

Old container next to new container:

{{gwi:687085}}

Whole tree in its new container, old container next to it:

{{gwi:687086}}

Extent of budbreak:

{{gwi:687087}}

Comments (12)