SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midtn

Hey fir lovers in hot areas, national arboretum DC

16 years ago

Hello all,

I happened to be in the Washington DC area on business late last week and had a couple hours to kill. If you get the chance, do yourself a favor and walk through the dwarf conifers garden at the National Arboretum. Very enjoyable. In addition, I took note of some of the Abies species at the arboretum. The climate is fairly hot and humid with warm summer evenings and the soil looked pretty much like standard clay soil to me. All of these were attractive trees some just more so than others.

Here is what I sawÂ

Abies numidica  Freakin gorgeous dark green and growing very well. Just starting to bud.

Abies cephalonica x pinsapo  Huge, huge, huge and beautiful, also growing very well

Abies firma  Again large beautiful trees. Quite a bit of new growth, very nice looking trees.

Abies holophylla Nice, growing well

Abies homolepis Huge, doing even better than holophylla

Abies sachalinensis  growing well

Abies balsam  Looked very nice.

Abies chinensis  Looked OK. Not as good as some of the others. However this was a newer planting. Maybe not quite yet established.

Abies koreana  Same as chinensis

One Abies I didnÂt see which I am pretty sure would do well is A. nordmannia. I have had one in my Middle Tennessee yard for a few years now and it has done very well.

Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: Gotelli Collection

Comments (3)