SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

lemon fruit starting to color up -- but is it lemon?

Hello again

Several years ago I bought a variety of citrus on clearance (so there was always the likelihood that they were mislabeled) -- meyer lemon, key lime, rangpur lime, Washington naval. During the first summer outdoors the tags disappeared and 2 died. In the ensuing years, first one tree (identified with your help as a calamondin) then another (turned out to be the rangpur lime) fruited. The last survivor has set fruit this year and I have been hoping that it was the lemon -- which I really wanted most all along.

Now the fruit, which is still on the small side but seems to have the typical lemon shape, is starting to color up -- but it looks orangish to me! Does a meyer lemon have an orange tinge? Would the sudden onset of cool (48F) nights affect it? Would a true orange produce such a small fruit -- not even as big as a typical lemon? What else could it be?

And what could be stealing the tags -- the white printed plastic slabs that stick in the pot -- they disappeared out of half of my other fruit tree pots this summer!

Comments (18)