SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hanzrobo

84 Lithops in a 4" Pot, Yo-ho-ho and a bucket of soil...

hanzrobo
11 years ago

Hello friends. I recently dismantled a packed pot of 14-month-old Lithops lesliei 'Pietersburg' C30. I've been tackling the pots that are overpacked one at a time. So far I've done Glottiphylum fragrans(wow, too many), Glotti linguiforme, Jensenobotrya lossowiana, Anacampseros rufescens, Cheiridopsis peculiaris and Aloinopsis orpenii. It's quite tedious but I enjoy it, very zen for me.

I figured I would take pics this time and share my process with you folks. Here we go!

Standing room only.
{{gwi:700818}}
I use the back end of a paint brush to loosen the soil, working my way through. When I remove one, I run the roots between two fingers, gently pulling away loose soil and fine roots.
{{gwi:700820}}
and then you get this...
{{gwi:700822}}
I waited 2 days for this next step. It's probably safe after 1 day but I don't mess around with "probably". Here's my soil.
{{gwi:700827}}
So, you angle your pot and add your 1st section of soil. I'm doing 16 in this pot so I start with 4 across.
{{gwi:700830}}
I then use a spoon to add the 2nd section of soil, the first scoop is used to hold down the roots.
{{gwi:700833}}
Repeat...
{{gwi:700836}}

{{gwi:700838}}

{{gwi:700840}}

After it's full, it still needs some adjustment. I use the paintbrush again to push the plants and soil around until my grid is nice and the soil is fairly level.
{{gwi:700842}}
{{gwi:700844}}
and then it looks like this...
{{gwi:700845}}
I use a little horticultural sand around the edges of each plant to hold them snug...
{{gwi:700847}}
a light spray for now...
{{gwi:700849}}
label and done!
{{gwi:700850}}
Okay, now only 4 more pots and I'm done for today! Say it with me, 4 more pots! 4 more pots!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville