SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Biggest,fastest,growing succulemts.

Just watched an old Victory Garden episode of the Huntington. The guest host from Britian went nutz over the enormous Yucca filifera and Aloe barbarae. Here in the S.F. bay area I nominate Yucca elephantipes or the unnamed various hybrids that are sold. I have one I planted over 20 years ago that looks very much like Y.filifera with a huge base. I have it planted next to a rental cottage and despite an attempt by past renters to cut down(don't ask, it just upsets me more to this day)has become my largest succulent-by far.

What's your's..your fastest for your area?,that you nominate for the world? for the potted plant collector? plenty of subcategorys..what ever YOU think. Thankx

Comments (8)

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

Here are mine. Planted in the ground as seedlings with 3-4 leaves in 2000.

Aloe dichotoma:
    {{gwi:699860}}

{{gwi:699865}}

Aloe ramosissima (photos taken in 2006!):
    {{gwi:536383}}

{{gwi:536384}}

{{gwi:699871}}

And the tallest, Agave decipiens. Planted in '00 or '01:
    {{gwi:699874}}

Jordi

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jaw droppers.

• norma_2006
    15 years ago

You have done exceptionally well. Norma

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

Thanks.
    But I can't take any credit for that success. It is entirely the plants', soil's and climate's credit!

Jordi

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Those are stunning! Beautiful! You must be thrilled.

Here the Aloes grow fast, too.

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

cactusjordi,

Wow! Exactly how tall are the Aloe dichotomas--I'm having trouble with the scale. I have some VERY young seedlings (planted 16 days ago--just a seed leaf about 1 inch tall). Where do you live in California? How long does it take to reach the 3-4 leaf stage when you planted them in the ground?

I bought the seeds from J.L. Hudson for $2.00, the pack had about 50 seeds. I highly recommend that company. No minimum order, shipping for small orders is $1.50.

The first signs of germination were after only 4 days. Six of the first 10 germinated. Coincidentally, I just planted 10 more earlier tonight. These are from a winter rain area, so fall is the time to plant (according to Silverhill Seeds).

Here is a link that might be useful: J.L. Hudson, Seedsman

• mattemom
    15 years ago

not to get off track, but what are the 2 trees to the right in the last photo?
    I've been looking for trees like that to place on either side of my house

• cactusjordi
    15 years ago

Those are Italian Cypress, I think. I planted those also in 2000 as 3 or 4 ft tall plants.

Mark, it's dark now, so I'm not in the mood to go and measure. But it might give you an idea: I am 5'11" and can hardly, but just reach the lowest flowers of the right hand plant for pollination. I bought the seedlings, so I don't know how long it takes to get them to this size. My guess is 2 years maximum in a commercial nursery.
    I live 20 minutes east of San Diego.

Jordi

Here they are in spring '04:
    {{gwi:699876}}