SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracytemp_gw

Pls help w/ planting Dahlias in containers (lots)

tracytemp
18 years ago

Thanks in advance for your input and please forgive such a long post. This is my first attempt at this & I really don't want to mess up. A friend from up North gave me 14 different Dahlias and I live right in the middle of a deer path with not a whole lot of places in the sun to plant! Tenting off an area is not really possible. I have decided to plant my dahlias in containers but I am a bit overwhelmed at the thought of so many. Do I have to plant just one in each container?

I truly have no clue! I currently have 2 large 18x19" pots and 2 tapered 17" and 1large 22x19 and could get several whiskey barrels.

I just opened the box now to find some of them are sprouting!! What to do??

Heres what I have with their descriptions:

1- VERA SEYFANG (AAFD) Introduced in 1958. 12" blooms are of a rich orchid pink. Very sturdy plant with excellent foliage. Great stems for such a large variety. Bush height 3'. Late bloomer.

----------

2- CRAZY LEGS: Introduced in 1990. 3" blooms of burnt apricot with red reverse. Strong stems are well proportioned on the 4' bush. The foliage is outstanding. Prolific bloomer

----------

3- POPPERS (BBSC) Introduced in 2001. This variety is a sport from the variety Mary Lee McNall. The 4' bush has the lush, lacy foliage and good stem producing plant. The 5" blooms are a golden yellow splashed with red.

----------

4- BABYLON BRONZE Golden orange. Truly as big as a dinner plate, these specially selected prize-winning size dahlias are the most spectacular. Large No.1 size clumps

----------

5- WOWIE (CO) Introduced in 1998. bright 3 1/2" blooms of brilliant orange red with a starkly contrasting white collar. Holds extremely well among the collarettes as a cutflower. Bush height of 3 1/2'

----------

6- ANGEL'S DUST (MWL) Introduced in 1997. These 4" white blossoms are ever so lightly blushed with lavender. A vigorous grower of 5' produces many long stems for cutting.

----------

7- GONZO GRAPE (MFD) Introduced in 2000. Deliciously rich, deep purple 3" blooms are so bright they look good enough to eat! Profuse bloomer on a lush green bush of 4' with wonderful long stems for cutting. Recommended as a cut flower.

----------

8- OREGON REIGN (AID) Introduced in 2000. The 9" ruffled blooms are a lovely blue toned lavender, and were a big hit with visitors to our gardens. Strong, sturdy plant of 4 1/2' with very nice foliage and darker green stems make this an attractive addition to the garden as well.

9- GOLDEN EGG (MWL) Introduced in 1980. 3" gold waterlily on good stiff stems. The 4' bush is covered with blooms all season. A much admired flower at our fall show.

----------

10- VICTORIA ANN (BBID) Introduced in 2003. The 6" blooms are white with lavender outlines on the petals, and the back rows of petals a pure lavender. Excellent stem length for cutting on a 5 1/2' bush.

----------

11- CORNEL (MBA) Introduced in 1982. This variety is a "MUST HAVE" for those who exhibit. Blooms are 3 1/2" of dark red that grow on strong, straight stems. Very showy variety on the bush and nice in the garden too. Plant height grows to 4'.

----------

12- BLUE BELL

Purple-blue Decorative Dahlia on the market! Its 4" flowers are borne on 2 1/2-3' stems. Summer and fall flowering. No. 1 size clumps.

----------

13- POWDER-PUFF DAHLIA LAMBADA

Soft rose petals, creamy white center with deep rose heart. New class of dahlias produces flowers that are as large as the Giant Decorative and in a few varieties almost as big as Dinner Plate Dahlias. Large No.1 size clumps

----------

14- (3 of these) PINWHEEL DAHLIA MIX Decorative Dahlias in fuchsia, violet rose, lemon yellow and scarlet red, all with white tips.

----------

I realize this is a lot to ask but I really want to do it right and have these beauties last! What should I do? and How? Time is of the essence for me with this project..:)

Your suggestion and instructions are very important.

I can be reached at tracytemp at yahoo dot com.

THANKS!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022