SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

20% survival rate on my stored tubers...sigh.

For the last 2 weeks I've been buying dahlias here and there, in hardware stores and such places: all the while telling myself I should wait and see how the ones I stored had survived. 2 autumns ago ago I had carefully dug and divided and individually wrapped everything in plastic wrap, only to have everything rot over the winter. So last fall I tried a different approach, digging whole clumps, washing off the dirt, drying, dusting with sulphur, and packing in vermiculite in plastic grocery bags, one clump per bag. Then all those bags were placed in a paper bag and stored in my basement sump pump closet, where it stays cooler than the rest of the basement.

Following my Easter tradition, today I started potting them all up, starting with the 15 new ones. Then (with bated breath) I started unwrapping the stored tubers from last year. Out of the ~ 18-20 stored I think I have 4 survivors. Better than last year but still not great. The best looking ones (no eyes, but still firm) were in the bag that was on the top. Of the rest, about half are dessicated and the other half rotted. Though all were stored the exact same way (?!) 2 others have almost all shrivelled tubers but yet have obvious sprouts or eyes. Of course, the ones I liked best last year (Bishop of Llandaff, Akita) look deadest. I potted them all up anyway, since I had already made the paper pots: though the least likely to be alive are shoved together into a big pot.

Oh well: call it a learning curve: I guess it's going up. Though not much repayment for all the work I did. Plus now I have no guilt over buying 15 new ones I thought I didn't need.

Comments (12)