SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

What do you expect for rate of survival?

linrose
14 years ago

Has anyone looked back on the roses they have planted over say the last 5 years and assessed their survival rate? Have you looked at your failures and tried to figure out why they failed? Often I am clueless as to why a rose fails even if it is perfectly hardy and proven in my area, has an established root system and given all the right things (water, nutrition, sunlight, etc.) that it needs to survive and thrive.

I did a little look back on my rose purchases and plantings since 2005, the first year we planted roses in our current location. I consider myself an experienced gardener, and an experienced rose gardener. In 2005 I had 55% survival, 11 out of 20. In 2006, 38%, 7 out of 18. In 2007, 31%, 6 out of 19. You see the trend? In 2008 I didn't buy ANY roses because I was discouraged.

2009 was my year to comeback. To buck the trend. I bought 24 roses. So far, all of them are happy and healthy. Maybe it's a steep learning curve for me now that I live here and not in a colder climate, have given up trying to grow teas and noisettes, and am trying to grow tough birds that are tried and true, starting Austins on rootstock instead of ownroot, and growing more once bloomers.

So what do all of you expect for your new roses? Is it a crapshoot or can you do better than 50%?

Comments (21)