SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

Pretty high survival rate this year

bonniepunch
19 years ago

Every year I lose stuff - sometimes it's pretty hardy stuff that should have made it, and sometimes it's some of the stuff I'm zone pushing with. Sometimes new plants don't get enough root growth in to survive. So far this year I have had one schubertii and one christophii allium bulb not make it. The other ones all look fine (those 'globemasters' sure do have big leaves!). And one pot of stachys is definately toast. I also have one zone 7 plant that I decided to try - what the heck you never know - but it didn't make it. Two other pots I'm not sure about yet (a poppy and an astilbe). That is it!! Everything else lived through the winter! Some things are still dormant, but their roots are in good shape and the branches aren't dead.

I have never had such a low failure rate! The two previous winters I lost a lot of plants because we had some bad prolonged cold spells, so this year I really mulched my plants. I put on some wood chips I got from city crews thinning the tree out front, and my usual newspapers. Some plants had 8" of mulch on them! We also had a milder winter this year.

Anyone else have such good luck this year?

BP

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting