SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Spent Easter potting Dahlias!

Following the tips here, I just potted all my dahlias today to get earlier bloom. Since it was Easter, and this year most of my family was out of town, I felt like doing something "recreational" and spiritual rather than just treating it like an ordinary day. Since it was raining outside, I gardened inside.

Just with the ones I bought this spring, I potted over 30! I'm glad I didn't buy more. I used up all the pots I had saved from last year. I made the paper liners as someone here had suggested too. Some were really a tight fit in the pots: but ultimately they will all be planted in the ground outside. These were just the new ones! I had half the kitchen covered with pots, newspaper, bags of bulbs, etc. I think my DH thought I was nuts, but didn't say anything: it was Easter, after all.

In the garage I have a refrigerator crisper full of last year's, all wrapped in plastic wrap! Since I am out of pots I will have to find some kind of trays for those. I am not motivated to bother with those, but I did go to days of trouble to dig, wash, divide, etc., so shouldn't just waste them. Maybe I'll just direct plant those in May.

I have not watered them yet. They are all in pots, in flats in front of 1 sunny window upstairs that gets excellent morning light.

Do I water them sparingly until I see much leafing out? About 1/4 had sprouts, not too long. Do they need a lot of sun? I will need that same window for seeds soon.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!