SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Lessons learned from past failures.

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

It has been quite challenging growing these plants over the years...

I remember having to buy a new tree every spring because I had a passion for citrus, and they would never survive a winter in my care...Plenty of failures.

With the help from this forums and it's many kind members I have learned many lessons to succeed my first winter with very healthy and happy plants, which in turn has given me a desire to build my collection and succeed with some of the toughest plants to keep happy..In fact, most people I now in my area fail every year until I direct here or show them..

Here are a few examples mind you for someone growing them indoors for 1/2 the year and outside for the other 1/2 of year..Feel free to share your lessons from you past failures, lack of experience, or lack knowledge, since I am deliberately going to leave many out..:-)

1: Stay away from mixes that compact, clog air spaces, take way to long to drain or dry out, using a very porous mix so the roots will be stay healthy and happy.

1A: Use a wooden dowel to check for moisture since "moisture meters" can be very unreliable giving false readings..

2: Use a good fertilizer that is going to carry all the important elements and nutrition to sustain your plants health. Ones that include calcium which many if not most fertilizers lack which makes a huge difference in my trees..

3: Vinegar can be a life saver for most nutritional uptake while the nutrients from your fertilizer that are locked up in the soil are release to become easily available , turning your leaves a beautiful rich green and usually solving most problems that show up in the leaves by causing a pH shift to be more on the acidic side, which my plants thrive with..

4: Make sure that if your providing lots of warmth that you also provide lot's of sunlight so that you encourage the tree to hold on to it's leaves and stay happy.

5: Watch for a quick spikes in temperature in order not to continually stress your tree out..

For instance: Cold to Hot..This time of the year, leaving your plants out in a very sunny location can raise the temperature so fast, that the sun and heat can draw moisture from the leaves quicker than the roots can warm keep up, causing your tree to wilt or seem dehydrated..Not good.

Many more lessons learned from failures that I would like to leave up to the group to share with us......How about watering, pest, light, temps and other possible issues that many of us need to keep in mind, lessons learned?

What have you taken away from your experience growing these awesome "Citrus" trees..?

Thank you

Mike

Comments (3)