SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
legray_gw

canola oil for scale

legray
18 years ago

one or two of you might remember me mentioning i got a meyer lemon tree for my birthday. it's doing well, the blossoms are gone, but it's sending out leaf shoots everywhere (i think this is what's called a 'leaf flush), and the ones that are making me the happiest are the ones that are being sent out on bare branches.

and, because i feel the need to explain myself, i just want to clarify that the tree was very sick when i purchased it, and in fact has been sick for over a year, as the shop i bought it from claimed that it was 90% black when she opened the packaging box at the beginning of this past summer.

it's on a 14 hour timer under a "daylight" florescent bulb, and the plant itself is about 10 inches or so away from the light.

it's leaf dropping a little, but since the leaves were fairly well damamged by the scale, by the time i got it, i rather expected that. i've eradicated *a lot* of the scale, but can't seem to rid myself of all of them. i'll spend hours and hours removing them, and the tree will apparently be scaleless for a couple days, and then i'll find one errant scale. it's maddening, i wish i'd done myself a proper favor and bought a healthy plant for a change. grrr.

i read on this forum once (thank you, search), that canola oil has been used to successfully eradicate scale, in the absence of horticultural oil. could anyone substantiate this claim, and possibly offer a method of use? i'm googling and all that, i was hoping for additional input from first hand experience (a link or six would also be appreciated).

Comments (14)