SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (26)

• botann
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! Nice landscape!
    Mixing things up a bit sure is more interesting than just conifers. Japanese Maples fit right in. So do those Sedums with rock.

In the 9th picture, what is the groundcover with the blue flowers under the Gingko? I have some, and have been trying to find out the name of it for years.
    Thank you.
    Mike

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

Inspirational, Dave. Not only is everything superbly well kept and presented, the meshing of plants here is arboretum(or better) quality. Some day I'd like to have this mirrored, with my own personal style touches of course. Until then, I'll look to completed(or shall we say 'advanced') gardens like yours, Blues, Edwins, Coenosiums, etc.

-Will

• Cher
    14 years ago

It's really beautiful Dave!
    Cher

• jlc102482
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I wish I knew the names of some of them, they have such interesting forms. What an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike,

This ground cover was ordered long ago from a catalog featuring high desert plants. The catalog was from a company in Arizona. I have no idea of the name. We added this ground cover when we did the first cactus garden which used to occupy this area at least 10 years ago. I will do some looking for it in my records. I have never seen it for sale in Kansas City. Very hardy and durable.

Anyone else that wants plant info feel free to ask.

Dave Here's a close up.
    {{gwi:684378}}

• gardener365
    14 years ago

I've never seen that flower. Dave, incredible......

Dax

• salicaceae
    14 years ago

What is the ginkgo in pic #9?

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

salicaceae, the ginkgos cultivar name is 'Chi Chi'.

Info: Chi-Chi' (also known as 'Tschi-Tschi') is a dwarf, dense, mounded, slow-growing, multi-stemmed shrub form of the popular Ginkgo tree. It typically grows to only 4-5' tall with a fan-shaped habit and over 10 years. Ginkgo biloba is a deciduous conifer (a true gymnosperm) that features distinctive, two-lobed, somewhat leathery, fan-shaped leaves with diverging (almost parallel) veins. Ginkgo is the only surviving member of a group of ancient plants believed to have inhabited the earth up to 150 million years ago. Ginkgos are dioecious (separate male and female trees). Female ginkgos are usually considered to be undesirable because they produce seeds encased in fleshy, fruit-like coverings which, at maturity in autumn, are messy and emit a noxious, foul odor upon falling to the ground and splitting open. As a result, nurseries today generally sell only male cultivars which are "fruitless". 'Chi-Chi' is a male clone. Its cultivar name translates as "breasts" in reference to unusual swellings (clusters of dormant buds) which appear on the bark of plants as they mature (usually after 10 years). Leaves turn a uniform golden yellow in autumn.

• botann
    14 years ago

Thank you Dave. That's it!
    Here's mine with some creeping Phlox.
    {{gwi:684380}}

• ghgwv
    14 years ago

Dave,
    Thanks for taking the time to show your beautiful garden. Always a pleasure to see what you have next.
    Gary

• hogmanay
    14 years ago

great work. i'm green with envy :-)

what is the taller tree along the driveway in this photo?

http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/af191/Davesconifers/?action=view&current=IMG_4354.jpg

i should probably be able to tell from the photos, but i'm a bit of a newbie

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This one?
    Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'
    {{gwi:684367}}

• hogmanay
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply Dave, but I'm not asking about the Maple there. The tall tree behind it in the shot above, the one where you can only see the trunk.

I also see 3 of them in this photo (below) from your album, in a row along the driveway, but again, only the trunks are visible.

http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/af191/Davesconifers/?action=view&current=IMG_4354.jpg

They appear to have bark interest like an eastern red cedar or bald cypress that's limbed up, but I doubt they are either of those. I also am curious since they appear to be rather mature and are close to the drive. That's a great look.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hogmanay

Juniperus virginiana 'Canaertii'

• hogmanay
    14 years ago

thanks. looks great.

• Cher
    14 years ago

Not a conifer question Dave but on picture 23 of the variegated flower with tiny white flowers - what is it's name? Thanks.
    Cher

• Greenthumb
    13 years ago

Dave,
    What is the cultivar name of the weeping Blue Spruce in photo 12? I like the narrow growth of this plant.
    Thanks,
    Mike

• thetman
    13 years ago

great pics- everything looks great- just curious, in picture 6- what are those pyramidal juniper looking trees in the background-looks to be around 6 or so of them, they look nice
    thetman

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Great shots, as always Dave. Thanks.

chohio- Pic 23 looks like Variegated Solomon Seal. Very nice shade or semi-shade plant.

tj

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

greenthumb ...Picea pungens 'Slenderina'.

Neighbors Junipers....'Wichita Blue

tj...you are right.

Dave

• Cher
    13 years ago

Thanks tsugajunkie. I've had it for years and couldn't remember it's name until you said it.
    Cher

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Botann and Dave, check this response I got on Name that Plant Forum within minutes about your blue flower:

"It's a veronica, maybe Veronica whitleyi, but not sure of the exact species. There are a lot of mat forming veronicas."

My jaw nearly dropped on the floor. I couldn't believe it...

Dax

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dax,

I had a tag on that for years but some how disappeared over the winter. Veronica whitleyi it is.

Dave

• dcsteg_everestkc_net
    13 years ago

I have been going through all my plant files and doing some reorganization. In doing this I now have a name for the ground cover in photo #9.

Its name: Veronica x 'Blue Reflections'. Believed to be a hybrid between V. liwanensis and V. pectinata.

Purchased from High Country Gardens Santa Fe NM. in 1998. They still show it in their catalog.

Botann you now have a name.

Dave

• severnside
    13 years ago

Wow heck, updating this thread was a true gift for the eyes. Superlative garden and pictures Dave.

• botann
    13 years ago

Thank you Dave!

It's nice to finally get a name for it.
    Mike