SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamdaisy

Italian Cypress Problems

jamdaisy
10 years ago

I am new the gardenweb and have never posted before but I need advice on my italian cypress trees. I had 6 planted 2 years ago in different spots in front and back yard. 2 in the front yard are accenting large brick columns at my front entry. One of these cypress trees has been growing great...no leaning or browning and has gotten about 3 feet taller in 2 years. The problem is the other cypress in the same type of dirt is browning and leaning even though it has been staked and restocked since planting. And it has grown maybe 1 foot in the past 2 years. The fact that these trees are not a great pair at this point with one healthy and one not so much...should continue to put effort in the bad italian cypress to help it catch up to the good one...or should I just change directions and put another pair of slim growing evergreen trees at my front entry? like a wissel's saguaro false cypress or blue arrow juniper...
FYI I have clay soil and irrigation system during our dry northwest summers. The front of the house gets full sun during the day.
my ultimate goal is to have two trees that will parallel each other and soften the look of the harsh brick columns.
thanks for any input...

Comments (4)