SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

When you're a gardener on your own....

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

Some jobs are a little tougher than others. Last week, my Lawnboy mower, the self propelled one, died. I knew the carburetor needed attention because it would idle rough and die. Anyway, no pickup truck anymore so I had to load it into the back of my 2004 Chevy Cavalier.

Well, there was no way I was going to be able to lift that into my trunk. I fussed and fussed, finally went into the house and got a $5 bill and said the next guy I see come up the road I'm stopping and asking him to help me load this mower. I waited and waited, cars and pickups passed but drivers inside didn't look like good prospects; finally an old pickup truck turned up the road and I could recognize a farmer if I ever saw one. Waved him down. He looked puzzled but when he understood my predicament he happily volunteered. When he got out, here he was an older farmer and disabled with a crippled leg. I felt bad, but he came right over and he took one side of the mower and I the other and we got it right in slick as can be. He even tied it down for me with the tie-down I had - refused the $5. Thanks to whoever you were!

Now this morning, I have to go pick up the mower at the shop. They load it for me, and I decided to ask if they had a boy they could send home with me to help lift it out. They are an Amish establishment, so I wasn't too surprised when he came back out and said "All the boys are still at home". Well, I understand, sending a kid home with a strange English lady? ha. Altho I've done business there for years. I got mad (more at myself), so when I got home I said to myself "Just do it!". Well, I only had to lift for about three seconds and let it drop about six inches from the ground. Saved me $5.

Maybe it's time to invest in a small utility trailer to pull behind my car? I've never pulled a trailer of any kind, not sure I know how.

Comments (17)

Sponsored