SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19697693

How do you incorporate large conifers into the landscape?

User
11 years ago

We have a 15 year old Pinus Densiflora that takes up a corner of our small backyard. I'm trying to like it, but I haven't found a way to incorporate it into the surrounding beds, which are mainly perennials that don't grow very tall. I know I need more shrubs along the fence, but if I can start with the pine tree, I should be able to work with the other beds next.

Can you recommend some companion evergreens and/or conifers that will hide the bare limbs of the pine? The soil is dry and acidic, and I've got all three light conditions to deal with--full sun to the left, part sun in front, and full shade between the pine and the 30 foot tree next to it. I know rhododendrons will work and I may put one on the shaded side to the right, but I hope you conifer fans will have some other ideas. I live in the PNW where conifers and evergreens are abundant, so I should be able to find something nice.

Or should I remove the pine this fall and plant a more interesting fir tree? Suggestions? The pine gets a lot of dead growth in the center, and I spent all last week thinning it out to allow more sun in. I can't reach the cones to cut them to prevent further growth. Our neighbor has the same tree that is twice the size! I would move the new conifer forward a few feet and let it have that whole corner. A fir with branches to the ground would at least hide the fence.

Thank you for any and all ideas!

Comments (34)