SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Anyway of telling if a tree is gone before it breaks bud?

ricksample
10 years ago

With the recent snow, rain & deep freezes, I'm trying to get another order ready to purchase. I'm ordering a few new ones that caught my eyes, but would also like to include the ones that I think may be gone. Being that I'm in my 3rd year, I don't know how much these trees can handle and what to look for.

Here's what was able to sum up after the snow melted and I was able to walk around the yard yesterday.

1. A few green giants had some of there roots pushed out of the ground. I covered them up with mulch since the soil is frozen. These green giants are 3 years in the ground. Probably caused by a rabbit.

2. Picea pungens 'Maigold' was lifted half way out of the planting hole. This was planted about a year ago this month I think. I have a couple other newly planted ones from fall that were lifted about an inch. I covered everything up with mulch so it stays warm... can plants survive being lifted as such? These were lifted because it rained, then we had that deep freeze of -20.

3. Two new pines are showing brown tipped needles. When I was able to view these plants a month ago, the brown was just ever so slight. Now the brown is about 1/2" in length and about a quarter of the needles are brown tipped like this.

4. Two new spruces look like they have someone of a brownish tint to them. When you rub your hand across them, some of the needles fall.

Everything above I took a small branch from to examine. under the bark is dark green. I cut the buds open and they are dark green. I only have 1 that is for sure dead since the inside and buds are brown.

Can't really get any photos at the moment, won't get home from work till late tonight and we have another storm rolling in tomorrow. Just thought I would see what everyone's general opinion is.

Comments (7)