SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cleansc

Key Lime Improperly Located: Transplant or Not?

10 years ago

Good morning, all!

Subject location is Miami Florida, Zone 10, in well draining soil.

I have recently purchased a house that came with a Key Lime that was improperly planted right up against the house. It faces east and only receives sun for half the day and is under the eave the rest of the time.

In addition to this, this abandoned little tree has the full catalog of ailments, from Leaf Miner to Orangedogs (which I have removed by hand already). There's sooty mold, ants, curly leaves, white fluff, you name it. No fertilizer or sprays for years it seems.

The amazing thing is that with all this going against it, this little bugger sets fruit. Delicious, juicy fruit. Against all odds this guy just keeps on giving. Totally abandoned, with ZERO attention or care. It's basically a weed just growing there. So I can assume I at least have good soil.

It's about 8 feet wide, 6 feet tall, and the trunk has a stepped base which is 4" at the fat part (healed injuries, perhaps?) which quickly tapers to 2-1/2". I don't know which is the width to go by so a picture is included.

Pics of the tree at link.

Now my question is simple: Do I transplant this tree to let it thrive in full sun and space as it deserves, or do I leave this maturish tree well enough alone and baby it in this corner it's in with a proper feeding regimen? I mean, it's setting fruit, so why risk it?

What would you all do if this was yours? Maybe it's just too old to move by hand? I'd like to take the best route for this little guy.

As an aside, I plan on a full citrus orchard on the other side of the yard with about 4 to 6 trees of varying varieties. Looks like citrus should grow fine here since I have this "wild" Key Lime seemingly doing it's thing there. :)

Thanks, all!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Key Lime

Comments (17)