SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzanva

When to transplant and pot size?

LizzaNVA
12 years ago

Hi all! I found this forum about a month ago (what took me so long?) and have learned more about citrus (plus fig and orchid--my other passions) care in those two months than I have in the past 5 years! Thanks Meyer Mike, Josh, Rhizo, Patty S., Johnmerr, and of course Al Talpa.

My soil that I have been using is a combo of MG, cactus sand,perlite, some generic bark, and citrus soil (it was expensive so I riffed on the citrus soil with cheaper stuff). My plants (a Meyer lemon, tangerine, and Key lime) have been in it for about 2 years. I did just do a ph soil test and it was in the 7 range. My plants have full sun year round from 8-1 pm or 3 (depending on time of year/location). I live in an 863 sq ft condo on the 15th floor with a large well sheltered balcony. The plants came inside on Dec. 20th when the temps on the balcony dipped below 45 degrees. My last harvest on the Meyer lemon was over 30 fruits and there are new buds/fruits on it now. The tangerine is even more prolific. The Key lime is newer--it has one fruit on it now.

So...do I need to re-pot? How to I tell? Also, from looking at all of the pics on here I think my pots are too big. They are the really large 23" decorative ones you can find at Home Depot or Gardner's Supply. The Meyer and tangerine are about 3 ft. tall. I've found most of the ingredients for gritty mix and a local garden center will have the turface or something close in a month or so. Given my condo issues repotting these guys will be a HUGE production. Plus I've read how a real re-pot (I realize now I'd been simply potting up before)can shock a citrus plant. I always have some sort of blossom or fruit on the plants, is it okay to re-pot with fruit or blossoms? I always re-pot my orchids when they're dormant...

Thanks!

Sorry for the long message!

Liz

Comments (6)