SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

Digging with tree spade....need a little advice.

mamabirrd
15 years ago

Hello!

I am renting a Bobcat tree spade this weekend to move my conifer, etc. collection and would love any advice you can offer.

I will be using a 30" conical spade. Do you have any recommendations on the size of burlap squares I should get? I was told that 32" tall would be the max rootball depth and 30" would be the width.

I need to order the burlap today so any suggestions would be appreciated. I was planning to go with a 7oz. 60"x60", but i'm not sure that would be best. Maybe too small?

It's been kind of dry here lately. I planned to water each plant the day before.

And what about wrapping the branches? I was going to use a light rope or twine. Seems like the best way to keep any branches from getting broken. Is there a specific way to do it? I planned to tie rope to bottom of trunk and basically wind around plant to the top. Sound right???

Any other tips or advice would really be appreciated as this is my first time using a spade. I've transplanted many times by hand, but this job is just too big for little ol' me. :)

Thanks so much!!!

PS: Is my old friend Dax still here?? If so, how is the house?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH