SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nannerbelle

Looking for a little advice on the move and my plants

nannerbelle
10 years ago

Well, many of you know I've got a new house under construction and I"m taking all of my plants and landscaping with me from the old house to the new. Our completion date was supposed to be sometime around the end of June. That was before the monsoon season set in this year and that has delayed my builder by several months. Now I'm not worried about the move from my perspective, got all that covered. However the plants have me concerned. I asked him today about the new complete date and he put me at 1.5 to 2 months out if the rain holds off a while so we can get the mud dried out a bit. So I'm looking at somewhere around 100 plants that are in containers resting beautifully under my oak tree at the side of my house. I did have them taken up in May and the rain has done them well. I've got some great growth and they are all very healthy and in great shape right now. I may be able to get a bed or two in before the colder weather gets here but I'm not counting on it. I can definitely take care of some in the greenhouse over the winter but it won't hold all of them. I have my garage which can house some of the larger and all the overflow from the greenhouse. I think I'm looking at a move date around the first of October to be honest and realistic. I've got some Gardenia I don't think would make it containerized all winter, they are about 6 to 7 ft tall. I've got some Magnolia that are very large, several large roses that I'm a bit concerned about. I know I can overwinter my EE's, some of the smaller bananas, and various others pretty easily in the GH or garage. I would like to get some of the larger ones in the ground instead of trying to overwinter in the garage or greenhouse. My question is what is it way too late at the first of October to get in the ground? What would be best in the garage till spring? Needless to say, I"m having to change my whole plan around to work with this weather delay. I never thought I would be delayed this long! Any thoughts or advice here friends??

Comments (18)