SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joereal

Just Got Back from the trip.

joereal
18 years ago

We rented an RV and visited the following places: Magic Mtn Six Flags, Disneyland-Anaheim, Disney Cruise Ship at Don Pedro, Riverside, Murrieta, then Las Vegas, then went off to see the original London Bridge at Lake Havasu City as well as picnic at the State Park at the Lake, then went to Grand Canyon, went off to see the Caverns and the canyon of course, then went to Zion Canyon, then to the very beautiful Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef and the Arches, then spent some time at Idaho Falls, went all the way to Yellowstone and toured it a while, then after videotaping the complete spouting of Old Faithful, sprinted all the way back, but of course stopped by at Antelope Island in the middle of Salt Lake, then stopped by Reno, and finally all the way back to Davis. All in 10 days, we tried to stay overnight at each spot, went hiking and mostly sightseeing.

The only citrus highlight that I can share with you is during a visit to our friend at Murietta in Southern California, about 30 miles south of Riverside. They are both retired University of California professors at UC Riverside and have a 5 acre land on a small hill, with their house on top of the hill, having a great great view overlooking the land. This is like an estate house on a rural area on top of the hill. They have plenty of citruses, and have also the most common commercially available varieties: Washington Navel, Minneola Tangelos, Valencia Oranges, Kumquats, Citrus Cocktail, Oro Blanco, etc., about 30 kinds or more. Of course they also have the sour ones Calamondin, Key Lime, various lemons. The navels, tangelos, are the sweetest of their types that I have ever tasted in the entire US, especially the citrus cocktail is the best. I have all these varieties but they really don't taste that good as the ones growing in their land. The professor told me that their hot weather becomes extended all year round because sitting on a hill, on an elevated area, they receive the warm to hot thermal updrafts which sweetens all their cituses, except of course the lemons, limes and calamondins. Their only problem is that it always gets windy, and so the citrus fruits have superficial blemishes from rubbing against the branches, and are non-marketable. They don't need to market their produce anyway, just share it with friends who visit them.

They also have plenty of avocado trees. Avocadoes grow pretty well and is the main crop in their area.

Visited Home Depot whenever I can sneak out, and I find the same types of citruses sold all over the warmer states that I have visited.

Will have to catch up with you all later. I will have to catch up with work first.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022