SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_bonzo

Grapefruit Questions (with a few large photos - dial-up beware)

john_bonzo
15 years ago

We recently moved into a new house with two grapefruit trees. The previous owner told me that they are grapefruit, have never fruited, and he thinks they are 5 or 6 years old. He didn't know much about them or seem to care about them. He said that they never did anything to them. One is obviously grafted, and the other I cannot tell.

The trees probably should not even be growing here (The Woodlands, north of Houston), but they are on the south side of the house and protected overhead by a couple pine trees. The overhead protection is nice for their survival, but I am afraid that that is what is keeping them from ever fruiting. They are in bright shade (whatever that means) all day with a couple hours full morning sun and a couple hours filtered afternoon sun.

I guess I am basically looking for comments, suggestions, or observations. Is the lack of sun the probable reason for the trees' "leggy" form? Do they look healthy? Do they have any shot of ever fruiting? Is there any way to guess what variety them may be?

Tree #1 (Obvious Graft)

{{gwi:608083}}

Tree #2 (Cannot tell if there is a graft)

{{gwi:608085}}

Close up of leaf, Tree #1:

{{gwi:608087}}

Trees - sorry I couldn't get a better shot that this:

{{gwi:608088}}

Thank you so much!

Comments (5)