SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smeep_gw

A few avocado tree questions

smeep
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

In my yard, part way up a slope, there are two avocado trees that I planted two years ago, a GEM and a Reed. They are about 3 feet high and planted in the same hole, 18 inches apart. I'm new to growing avocado trees and the advice given by the local nursery doesn't always seem to match the advice on Gardenweb and other sites, so I thought I'd ask some questions here. Hopefully someone can help me.

1) The GEM seems like it's doing great! Lush foliage and even a few tiny avocados on some of the branches. The Reed, however, got that thing where the leaf tips turn brown, it spreads to more of the leaf and then it falls off. I think this happened over the past couple months. The tree basically dropped all its leaves, although it did flower and now there is new growth coming back from the tips of the branches. Is this just a normal thing for this type of tree or is something wrong?

2) The Reed grew a bunch of flower stalks recently, but it looks like no fruit resulted. I didn't watch it closely enough to get many details on this, but basically the tree has a bunch of those barren flower stalks with nothing to show for it. Maybe it's just too young to bear fruit? Or could something else cause this?

3) I know it's hard to advise on this, but how much water should these guys get? They're part way up a south-facing slope, I'm in South Orange County so the soil is basically clay, although I backfilled the hole by mixing in 50% of a planting mix that has lots of gravel or something for aeration and drainage. The trees are watered by three drip irrigation emitters for 1-2 hours every few days. I think the emitters total up to 2 or 3 GPH. Plus, they get hit by the regular sprinklers three times a week.

For what it's worth, the guy at the nursery told me that drip emitters can't get the water deep enough and that I should instead dig a well around the trees and flood them every two weeks. His opinion was that too much water caused the Reed's leaf and fruit drop. But he couldn't explain why the GEM was doing great, he didn't ask about the soil or sun exposure, and plus everything I've read says to plant avocados on top of a mound, not in a well.

Anyway, those are my questions. I hope I didn't give too many details. Here are some photos:

Here are both trees. They kind of look like Laurel & Hardy, now that I think about it.

{{gwi:537373}}

Here is just the GEM. It looks pretty good to me!

{{gwi:537374}}

And here is just the Reed. You can see how it's bare except for new growth at the tips. I just whitewashed it the other day because it looked severely sunburned. You can also see a couple of those barren flower stalk things.

{{gwi:537375}}

Thanks for any and all advice!

Jeff

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living