SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

two types of clematis on one trellis-a problem?

cateyanne
11 years ago

Without proper research, I got the bright idea a few years ago that since I loved a blooming clematis so much, I would extend my enjoyment by planting an early bloomer (Jackmanii) on one side of the trellis and a late bloomer (sweet autumn) on the other side of the same trellis. Well, they have both grown beautifully, intertwining themselves and quite taking over the trellis. This last year however, the Jackmanii did not bloom as profusely as it used to. I have never pruned it, not knowing what to do with two varieties so intertwined. This spring however, I will cut the Jackmanii to the ground, as I have read that is what should be done for good bloom. It's original trunk area is clearly visible. I am wondering though if it would be prudent to do the same, at the same time to the Sweet Autumn and should I remove all the growth that is intertwined on the trellis? Or will they just climb over this and cover it up? This seems like a big job as the trellis is approx. 12ft high and 5ft wide. What would you do? Thanks

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville