SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcat22

Very different flushes between two trees...?

dcat22
12 years ago

So, we have two citrus trees we planted in the yard about 3-4 months ago, and after being dormant as expected they both started flushing last weekend at the same time. One is a Moro Blood Orange (in more clay-y soil) and the other is a Rio Red Grapefruit (in the sandier soil, although they are only about 15' apart). We removed all the set fruit when we planted them, and they are larger trees, at about 5' tall.

Anyway, what I thought was interesting was how different their flushes are:

- The Moro is flushing only leaves (no flowers that I can tell) and doing it *everywhere*. Every bit of stem/branch is popping out new growth, sometimes 4 new stems circled around a single spot, at every spot possible. As we've read "don't prune" I've left it all alone above the first major trunk split. Also new growth extending at the end of every branch.

- The Grapefruit has the occasional stem sprout, but 95% of the growth is on the end of existing stems. Almost all of these contain flowers. (A few sprouts on the main scaffolding, but otherwise nothing coming from the wood.) This tree is larger and taller than the orange, but now less dense.

Is this just from the difference in species? Or is some external factor causing the difference in flushing styles? (And anything to worry about? Do they otherwise look OK from the pics?)

And one other question if ya'll don't mind...should we also prune all the fruit from this second flush (ie keep doing it for a full year) or let the fruit set this time?

Thanks much!

Some pics:

1. The Moro -- pretty much everything on the front/right branch is new growth in the last week:

{{gwi:605685}}

2. The Grapefruit, one of the upper branches...the new flowers and leaves on the end are 95% of the new growth. About 50% or so have flowers bunches. (The fruit hanging in the lower left is the single remaining fruit from the time of planting that my better half insisted we allow to remain. :)

{{gwi:605686}}

Comments (2)