SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilyanne74

Gardening is therapy-Succulent question

emilyanne74
16 years ago

Gardening is therapy-that is my mantra. As has happened with many of you I am sure, a few weeks ago I found myself having a bad day and traveling to Home Depot with my husband. Where upon I saw a beautiful display full of the most inviting little succulents you could imagine. I was a woman possessed and just started collecting wildly. Somewhere in the distance a voice (later I was told, was my husband's) kept repeating "we just came for a ladder". As the pictures will attest, I am a complete newbie to this. My only prior experience is a hen and chicks that has been in my family for 30+ years that I salvaged from a single bud in my great-grandmothers garden. I have managed to not kill it yet and it will hopefully be passed on for many generations.

The plants I arranged in this container(feel free to correct me if I am wrong) are sedum rubrotinctum, sedum mexicanum, sedum morganianum, haworthia cooperi var. truncata, pleiospilos nelii, and an unidentified variety of sempervivum. I know that the s. mexicanum has no business in there because it is only hardy to 50 degrees and I am sure I have some other errors I made in planting all these guys together, but I was so excited and couldn't stop myself. So any recommendations? I know that one of the rosettes of the semp has what appears to be leaf rot. I was planning cutting it off. I have them planted in commercial cactus mix with about 50/50 perlite mixed. I tend to be a water-aholic so I wanted them to be very well drained, but now I am wondering if some of them may not be getting enough water. Also, I am concerned that I have mixed in some winter growers with those that need to be dormant during these next few months. I have been poring over many sites and just seem to get alot of conflicting information or no information whatsoever that might be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Succulent in container pics

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert