SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stormchaser_gw

Mixed Cacti/Succulent Dish Gardens

stormchaser
12 years ago

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and I am also new to the world of cacti & succulents.

I am very excited about my new hobby. The literature within books from the local library as well as the world-wide-web has made it interesting and exciting!

I am located in PA and in Zone 6. My new cacti/succulents include a dish garden I made with a Mammillaria elongata (in bloom), a Haworthia Fasciata and a Echeveria (not sure of the exact type but is a grayish blue). I have also purcahsed a Aeonium kiwi in it's own clay pot along with Lithops & a small Eve's needle crest cacti (both in separate clay pots). I have all of these facing a southeast window in my kitchen and are doing well. I was also given an offset from a peanut cactus (no roots) and a cutting of a stalk from a fairy castle cactus.

My questions are:

1. My dish garden is a concern to me because I was told that the Mammillaria along with the 2 other succulants, have different water and light needs. If that is the case, then why do I see dish gardens with mixed cacti/succulents? I was also told that for the Mammillaria to bloom, it needs to be dormat in a cooler room with little/no watering with bright light. I can accomodate with an east window, but, how will that effect the other 2 succulents that are planted with it?

2. I have read up on propagation and I hope it works with the peanut and fairy castle but if you have any advice, I'd appreciate it. The offset from the peanut cactus came off easy with just a little pressure and the fairy castle was cut. I was told to let them dry a couple days and then plant in the peat medium, water lightly and keep in a warm but shady area and do not water again for a while so the roots set.

3. I was told that the pretty flowers that are on top of the fairly castle cactus are actually fake and are glued on? Is this true? If so, maybe I will use the cutting after it has rooted and graft it.

Again, I am new to all this and my mind is like a sponge. Any/all advice is appreciated :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting