SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeep461

Which is the most hardy and fragrant Brung?

jeep461
17 years ago

I was doing some math and decided to split my plants 1/2 in ground and 1/2 in 7-15 Gallon pots. Assume poor sandy soil, lots of Humidity and daytime highs of 90-100 with heat factors near 110-115 at least 30-60 days a year in summer. All plants will have morning and a little afternoon sun. I decided to cut the sun from 2pm-night to filtered from trees.(good choice?)This is for around 100+ plants.

Now for some questions. Should I put water crystals in with the soil?

Should I line the bottom of in ground with clay to hold water?

Should plants in ground be sunk deeper in the soil to create a water basin. If so how large.

Is there a good hard fertilizer for brungs?

Should I do a flood and drip or combo watering system?

Or am I all wrong and saving about 300+ dollars on pots and soil would not be justified by the additional work and care needed by the inground plants.

I have about a month and a half to get this done. Average last frost is about Feb 20th.

Thanks,

Jim

Comments (61)

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

WOW!!! Now that's what I call a find.
    Count me in if you are in need of a good home for some of them. Just send me an email. - Jardinera

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

What kind of light do you shine on those babies? Any special bulb?

• Related Discussions

Name the most fragrant Tea-Noisettes

Q

Comments (56)
    Most fragrant Tea-Noisettes: Top T-N for both type of scent and strength of scent:Duchesse d'Auerstadt A vendor was selling a row of huge plants (budded onto root stock) of Duchess d. A. at the Old Rose Celebration a few years ago and all the large plants were in full bloom and I was kicking myself for having ran out of cash for it was the most fragrant of any Tea-Noisette I'd ever smelled at vintage gardens or at s.j. h. rose garden... The apricot colored blooms with a touch of pink were large and luscious and scented of stone fruit, and Musk rose, heady and seductive... at that moment I wondered why so many people favor Reve d'Or in comparison. FFFF, out of five. ___________ Marachal Niel, almost as fragrant, as the Duchesse, I bought my M.N. from Rogue Valley. My favorite yellow rose, and if it were the only yellow rose in the world I might be content, I adore it so much. FFF and 1/2 out of five. on some enchanting and rare afternoons it's as strongly scented as FFFF. ____________ Celine Forestier. It's 2016 and the plant is c. seven years old, it came from Rogue Valley and it blooms fully in spring, however rebloom in summer and autumn is only c. 25- 30 percent of the spring flush. It has a really lovely refined fragrance that is dependable, under all conditions and more than moderate in strength. If only I could find a well repeating clone. FFF and 1/2 out of five. __________________ Mme. Alfred Carriere, from hortico.com c. 7 years ago, moderate fragrance, dependably fragrant. FFF __________________ Reve d'Or sweet rose scent overlaid with Musk Rose. FF and 1/2 out of five. from Rogue Valley roses. _____________________ I can only rarely detect any scent from the Lamarque that I bought from A.R.E., it has a slight lemon scent scent with a meadow finish... and it's foliage is not nearly as pretty as the one at Morcom Amphitheare of Roses labeled California 'Lamarque' .The blooms are very beautiful but it's not the rose I so fiercely desired. FF out of five. ______________ Crepescule from vintagegardens.com variable fragrance strength under different conditions. F to FF and 1/2 out of five. __________________________________ I never bought Jaune Desprez because it smells strongly of bananas to me, a nice scent but not what I'm looking for in a rose. That is a darling photo of Bouquet d'Or. Luxrosa
    ...See More

Most Fragrant Conifers, Evergreens, etc.

Q

Comments (55)
    Thanks for sharing that Fledgling...fascinating reading! I don't put up feeders for the hummers here, most seem content enough to feed on all the flowering plants I provide. One particular fellow has come back (at least I believe it is the same one) for about 3 years to the ivy geranium/scavaeola planted hanging baskets I have on the garage. Frankly, I'm ready for a new planting scheme for those baskets. Every winter I dream up a new scheme for them, but when spring finally arrives, I feel so guilty about changing the planting on my little hummer friend that I end up putting the same old planting back in anyway...just can't disappoint the fellow...LOL! Re the topr...I remember reading something about that. Isn't topr what also allows birds to survive in cold, wintery climates such as mine? Resin...I enjoyed your link too! I have never heard of a Godwit (cute little fellow) and honestly I thought you were making that name up...LOL! I'm going to have to do a websearch and see if I can't find pics of sunbirds...I've never heard of them either. Nature is truly amazing! Thanks guys for sharing. I hope Coniferfreak gets to see what's been posted. I'm sure she would enjoy it. P.S. Thanks Tcharles about the hibiscus. I did plan to make cuttings. Was wondering if you knew which technique would work better; dipped in rootone and the struck into the soil or rooted in water? I've always had amazing success with rooting coleus in water and it's a great way to carry them over since a juice glass of water is much smaller than a pot and allows me to grow many more cuttings in my garden window. Was wondering if I could grow hibisucs cuttings in water? Eileen
    ...See More

Most fragrant HARDY flowers for cutting

Q

Comments (15)
    I was just reminded this weekend of mignonette, which you might consider. It doesn't look like much -- okay, it looks like a weed -- but the tiny little flowers are wonderfully fragrant. Don't know how it holds up as a cut flower. The several years I grew it I would always throw a stem into whatever bouquet I made for others, but since I had the pots right on the balcony I never put it in a bouquet for myself.
    ...See More

Most fragrant David Austin roses

Q

Comments (136)
    I do grow GC and it is one of my showstopper. It didn't do much the first few years but when it matures, it put a show like no other. As you can see, it does have blackspot and mites loves it. The good thing however is, the leaves stays on the plant mostly, so it isn't naked throughout the rest of the summer. The other two austins I would definitely recommend is Teasing Georgia and Evelyn. Jude doesn't do much in my garden. I got a handful of blooms and that is pretty much it. Evelyn Evelyn and Ascot (bottom)
    ...See More
  • gee8ch
    17 years ago

Hi Jeep:Please add my name to the list of folks who would like to have some of your cuttings. I am just starting a collection of Brugs and so could give them plenty of room in warm Calif.!!! LOL How lucky for you AND these cuttings that you were going for pots that particular day. Happy Holidays, Gloria

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They are a lot of tip cuttings. These are the hardest for me to root. So I will start them and then pass some of them along. As far as the light nothing special just a spiral flourescent 40 watt bulb in a clip on reflector. No heat so it can be set right on top of the plants almost. It does seem to work well. The ones left in the buckets are the stragglers and less hardy right now. My others out grew the buckets in 2- 3 weeks. I thought this was pretty amazing.

Here is my way. Aquarium gravel,reverse osmosis water (that is what I drink from my well) if you use city water let it sit a day and all the chlorine will be gone. Cheap aquarium air pump with air stone.

Here are optional items which I use

1/4 cap of Hydrogen peroxide and about 1/8 of a teaspoon of rootone w/ fungicide. I check my brungs daily I did it w/o a heater inside the house water temperature 65-70 degrees. The cuttings that do not seem to be going I pick up and looked at the ends and if it looks a little like jelly I cut it off stick it back in bucket and check the rest of cuttings. Then I add a little more rootone to water it kills any fungus which might effect others. I have had close to 100% success rate. Pretty simple and very effective for me. Ps I like the clear Walmart storage tubs the best.

• msbatt
    17 years ago

Jeep, have you considered the 'bucket method' of planthing your brugs? My brother uses this method, because he lifts all his every fall. Basically, you take a 3-gallon bucket (he buys them at Lowe's), drill several 1" holes around the side (NONE in the bottom, though!) and plant your brugs in the buckets, then plant bucket and all in the ground. Come fall, it's easy to cut around the outside of the bucket and lift it.

BUT---if I lived where you live, I'd only use this method with especially tender brugs, such as the Versicolors. Brugs are almost always happier growing in the ground.

Oh, and it's B-R-U-G, not "bruNg". (*grin*)

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Jeep,
    To a newbbie like me that is great information. I had no clue you had to put an air pump in the water. Thank you, I will try that with my next cutting attempt. - Jardinera

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes it is brug I just have problems with more than 2 syllables. LOL I appreciate it and will try to get it right. Mine are going to stay in the ground year round. I found some 55 gal plastic drums for $ 10.00 delivered and will cut them in half and make planters for about 1/2 of my plants the others will hit the ground and learn to survive. The best survivors are the ones I will take cuttings of and breed them. Anyway that is my plan.

• chena
    17 years ago

Okay Jim I'm not sure what Vitamins you are taking but I want some...LOL You made quite a haul Congrats.. It is very kind of you to plan on using them as gifts..I know everyone who recievs one will think of you each time the wind blows and spreads their wonderful scent!!! SOOOOO Where are the pic's dude!!! We need to see some backyard stuff. Just can't do much here but I can take the time to enjoy yours!!
    Chena

• chena
    17 years ago

BTW!!!! I see something other than Brugs in that bucket.. What's that???
    Chena

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a few pics. Think I am not covered up? This is since Friday night of last week. These are on the porch.

{{gwi:584719}}

{{gwi:584720}}

Here are the rescued brugs (yeah I got it right!!!)

{{gwi:584721}}

Chena what is BTW? Anyway that was some honeysuckle it is planted now. I planted all from the last go around but about 3 or 4. I have not counted them yet. I know there is close to 100 on the porch alone. Not much to look at in the yard as I had no plants 2-3 months ago. Just grass Oaks and sand.I will do a before and after. I am still trying to decide where to put them. I thought I knew but my idea changed as I do enjoy not having to cut the grass. Here is a bad picture of some of the side yard during the summer and part of my grass cutting crew sleeping on the job.

{{gwi:584722}}

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Your goats are so cute! I've been trying to talk my husband into letting me get some goats and a miniature donkey but he's not having any part of it. We have an unused pen and a barn so we wouldn't have to build anything. One day I'll get my way : )
    Karyn

PS: I'm glad you finally stopped saying brungs. lol

• chena
    17 years ago

Karyn maybe you should try the pigmy goat approach the are adorable even my hubby was going for that one.. LOL
    Jim .. Keep those pics coming..And lets see some more of those other HIGH Z's.. I know there a handful of ya out there...LOL
    Blessings
    Chena

• wildflower
    17 years ago

Great pics Jim. Who needs grass anyway...brungs are much prettier to look at. I didn't even realize you were calling them brungs until Msbatt's post...must have been speed reading. BTW, BTW stands for By The Way.

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Jim,
    Bucket pictures are cool and nice goats too. I have three and they help me a whole lot. I have not had to mow the pasture for a year and a half now. Good fertilizer too!!!! Now I have time to try and grow brugs. When I get some cuttings I will have to try the air stones and such. How do you start seeds, in soil? I was thinking of buying a hydroponic thing. Any advice??? - Jardinera

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey Jardinera!!!
    Do yourself a favor and don't buy seed (I'll give you some)... They probably won't come true anyway (unless you just like to start seed)..Besides you have to wait forever for them to bloom...I'm sure there will be cuttings a plenty come spring.. I will help you out if I can...I know I will have something to spare!!
    Anything that generates oxygen in the water will work..
    I have looked for air stones and haven't found them here. I have a leftover pump for a fish tank I use but other than that I just change the water each morning.. I guess it is part of my routine...LOL
    Chena

• beth7happy
    17 years ago

hmmm...have I just been lucky? I've never done a thing but to stick the cutting in a glass of water ...within a few days ...white nubbies...Do they root faster with the oxygen, or can you just leave them in the water longer that way?

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Those are sheep. Black Belly Barbados have a lot different eating habits than a goat. I had one goat and he was a terrorist. He ate everything but grass and climbed on everything including the car. Barbados are cool they mainly eat grass do not climb have hair and do not need to be sheered, stay where you put them are very hardy and require very little work . They are gardeners.

Now goats are a different thing he would turn the water hoses on, eat the handles and when I tightened them up, eat all my plants, jump on the propane tank and mock me, tear down gates, terrorise the sheep, etc. Never get a goat unless you have a 8 ft fence and do not care if he destroys everything within their fenced in areas including trees. My sheep are peaceful most of the time. PS: my goat had 1 thing going for him he had plenty of personality.

I run around sometimes a little brain dead. I know what BTW is..... Gardening is an escape for me. The girl at the nursery ( I presume it was the owners daughter) told me they used a rooting mix that was mixed with vodka. She could not remember the name but she said the reason they used vodka was it was cheaper than the commercial item for dilution. It supposedly help open up the plant. Hmm do you have any idea what that might be?

Jardinera if these root I will send some. I need to see what the 1 price priority box is at USPS. The last thing I need is another hundred Brugs (yeah got it right again) It has been one of those days. Wildflower I agree with the Brugs vs grass. But I have to feed the sheep. I started growing Bahia in the open areas with full sun. Good grass looks like carpet but has 6 ft roots and spreds with rizomes and reseeds from spears like bermuda but much quicker.

They should be ready by the 1st of the year if all goes well. I will send plants in a small cup with soil. If the one price will allow them to fit. Anyway that is the plan.

Here is a picture of down back more sand. All that green stuff growing in mounds is Passion flowers. The sheep will not eat it cause it makes them sleepy........ On the right is a dead, once beautiful Bay Tree that my now departed goat decided to eat all the bark off in a day. Boooo to goats.

{{gwi:584723}}

Jim

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Chena, Beth and Jim -
    Thank you all so much for your willingness to sharing with me. I have learned a lot from reading your posts and I want to try to grow some Brugs sooooooooooooo much. Please email me and let me know where to send you guys the postage money. I am so happy! I'll be trying really hard not to let you down with the cuttings or seeds you send. You are just so wonderful. I truly appreciate it. Maybe next year I will be the one sharing! I hope. - Jardinera

• msbatt
    17 years ago

Jim, which passionflower is it? Do you know, or can you post a pic? Passies are another of my passions.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is Incarnata or I believe also called maypop. Very hardy plant. I do not have the heart to mow it down. He is a pic

{{gwi:584724}}

• chena
    17 years ago

Oh!!! Msbatt...You and me both.. I have a Sweet Grenadilla that I started from seed it is only a few months ..and I have started several other tropical ones still waiting to see if they are going to germinate.. We had Maypops allll over they place when I was a kid (OK)... They are native here I honestly have never seen one tho. I am hoping my sister (in Ks.) will bring some when she comes for Christmas.. They are everywhere at her place... I just love them...
    Chena

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

These are hardy like Johnson grass you have to try to kill it.I do not know if mine are just frustrated or what growing in mounds in the direct sun. I read where they are medicial and it said to take a few leaves. Well I tried about 1/10 of a leaf and it will take a back pain away for a couple of days. I cannot imagine a few leaves. Chena if Santa does not bring you one I will send you a couple.

The renegade brugs are starting root nodes so I guess they are going to do their normal thing. Amazing how fast they propagate.

Renegade bucket day 3

{{gwi:584725}}

Renegade nodes day 3

{{gwi:584726}}

Jardinera any ones you like? LOL I chopped them up until my buckets got full. Cute little devils. I will shoot a pic about every 3 days.

PS- there are a couple in the pics with big leaves that are trying to refuse to root from the 1st batch. So I cut them in half and started them over again.

Merry Christmas,

Jim

• gee8ch
    17 years ago

Hi Jim: I have a slope that needs some sort of planting to keep the soil from sliding. Do you think the Maypop would grow and spread? If you can spare a few, I'd love to try and see how they do here. I used to have some Passion Vine growing on a fence and it did quite well here in So. Cal. I would be pleased to spend you postage/handling for some, and if you are so inclined I'd NEVER refuse Brug cuttings LOL... LOL! Happy Holidays to you and yours, Gloria

• chena
    17 years ago

AWWW!!! Jim THANKS.... I had a solid white one growing a couple of years ago. BUT silly me put it in one of the flower beds by the veggie garden and it definitly was a bully...LOL By the time I got done tryin to get it under control I have lost it all..Thanks for the offer I my just take you up on it..
    I'd like to wish you and everyone here a Very Blessed Holiday and all the Blessings the New Year has to Offer...

Merry Christmas Ya'll
    Chena

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Jim,
    The fifth one up is my favorite ;-)
    You are too funny!!!!
    But on a serious note I am so excited. I have my set up all ready. I went to Walmart and purchased a plastic storage tub, a small aquarium pump, air stone, plastic tubbing, small gravel stones and an aluminum clamp light with 40 watt floresent bulb.......OH YES!!!! I AM READY!!! Can't wait to have the cuttings to put in it. LOL I think I have gone nuts with anticipation. Thanks again all of you that will be sharing with me.
    Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy new year to all!
    Jardinera

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Renegade Brugs at day 7. They kind of got neglected over the past 3 day. I had some cuttings go to slime and had to clean all the buckets brugs got a bottom trim and a good bath. Everything is disinfected now. I proably should have cleaned them up before they went in who knows what those clippers had cut at the nursery. Lets see if there is a change. I did add a underwater heater in one bucket. The oval bucket is 65 and the square tub is at 75. I cannot see much difference. Time will tell.

After square tubs bath I think they enjoyed it.

{{gwi:584727}}

Clean tub with heater
    {{gwi:584728}}

roots trying to form
    {{gwi:584729}}

roots trying to form other bucket

{{gwi:584730}}

both buckets clean and bubbling still a bunch of brugs

{{gwi:584731}}

Jardinera, looks as if You are ready. The plan was right after the 1st. They seem to be lagging a little but this is proably due to the others spending a week on vermiculite before arriving. So I guess it will not hurt to put them in vermiculite and send them on. We will see. Gloria and Chena I will get out my shovel in the next few days and dig a few passion flowers. I will try to get a few feet of roots. Let me know if you are interested.

I went a bought another bunch of plants and trees for my fragrant area and some palms to mix in. We must have dipped in the freeze zone for a few seconds last night a few of my plants got nipped on their leaves. They were growing too aggresive anyway. I planted some of my last batch into empty 3 liter coke bottles 2 weeks ago and they have already out grown their container. I can see roots all over the bottom. It is amazing how aggressive they are considering the weather. I must make the call to have my containers delivered. There is no way a 7 gallon will allow them to reach their full potential. They already filled out a 1 gallon plus in 2 weeks.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas,

Jim

• gee8ch
    17 years ago

Hi Jim: Hope you had a wonderful Holiday weekend. We had nice warm weather for Christmas Day ... I actually potted up all my rooted cuttings. It was glorious!! However, today it is gray, rainy and chilly (62F)!!! A good day to dream with seed catalogs!!lol. Please let me know postage/handling fees for the rootings (and please feel free to toss in some Brugs, if you like) ^g^. Wishing you a happy and safe New Year. Gloria

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    Its been a bit cool here too. I just wish this cold weather would go away so I can spend more time in the garden.
    Jim, after the first is awsome! :-) please make sure you email me what I need to send you to cover your expenses. I sure do appreciate your sharing.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bucket takes a hit. My heater decided to fritz out and when I looked at the bucket it smelled like guppy water. So I checked temp with my finger and got a digital thermometer it was 87. I started checking brugs and some went from nice to mush in 1 day. I cleaned bucket separated the hard to start and threw away mushy ones. The hard to starts and the ones needing trimming got a new home in the soil with rootone. Amazing what the temp will do to bacteria and fungi. Heater is out. BOOO.

So much for beginners luck. Now it is persistence and perseverance. A word to the wise start clean and stay clean.

bucket with strong brugs
    {{gwi:584732}}

The weak ones hit the soil. Some of the real small ones are varigated.

{{gwi:584733}}

Somebody give me a good pre bucket disinfectant for cuttings. Please !!!!!!!! The tip cuttings are the hardest to root.

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey
    Every Brug is not a winner..LOL Everyone loses some ..You have done a wonderful job..And it looks like to me you have got the cuttings figured out... If you don't have some type of curculation in the water you will need to change it daily or it will be guppy water and they will rot..It only takes one bad one to taint the water then it starts to go bad.
    The commom disenfectent is water/bleach 10 to 1.. I use 8 to 1 but I make sure everything is dry and has set for a few hours before I use it...You are doing great
    Chena

• persiancat_gardener
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for all the posts. Now I know just what to do with my cuttings......Great help!

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, it did get off topic but to give a continuous account I figure to keep it in one place. Being new to the brugs I had so many questions. I believe we have answered a few. Mine are happy again. Soon they will have a new home. So far the east and west coast. I will pick a few just for remembrance.

My plan is unfolding, containers tomorrow, soil complete in a few days. Wow I still have 2 months before all have a permanent home. I did the Palms already now I am after antique roses and hybrids on Fortuniana root stock and OGR.
    (Thats what I said "what is that a few days ago!!!") I am working hard to have all plants that can thrive down here. Thanks for all the help. I will continue to take a few shots until their departure.

Have a Happy New Year,

Jim

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Jim - Sorry to hear about your mishap with the bucket. They ones there still look really nice, though. Good job saving them. When you transfer your brugs from the water bucket to soil is there anything special you do? Do you just stick them in their own little pots right away or is there a step in between?

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They have forming roots all over them right now. You can put them back in your bucket or plant them in a small container. I used styrofoam cups with 4 holes poked in the bottom. Use a very good starter soil like Miracle grow poke a hole with your finger or pencil, put cutting in, water heavily and compress soil around them and maybe add a little more soil. Put in a warm place. I put mine outside on a flat and bring it in if the weather is going to be bad. If there is a problem with any type of mush cut end off and dip in rootoone.

The ones in the buckets are healthy only one had a problem and I believe it was due to the heater cooking them. I will pack in pearlite so you can make your choice of how to root them. Either way I would proably put them in the bucket for 1 day to make sure they are rehydrated completely. It is good at 1st, to pick up each brug and look at them daily so you get a feel for what is going on. I just looked at them and they are putting on new leaves. They are very healthy and ready to bust out growing. Once you get them going it is hard to stop them.

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the info and the great pictures too. I have learned a lot here. Hope to do good once I get some cuttings.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok last call for all that asked. Come Jan 2, 2007 they will be packed and gone as long as the weather is not scheduled for freezing your direction for a few days.

jpotts461@gmail.com

Need address and a good email. shipping is as below

USPS flat rate boxes are what I will use. I will try to fill them up.

address is

James Potts
    2275 Kirby Rd
    Aransas Pass, Tx 78336

or paypal to jeep461@yahoo.com

Flat rate boxes are $8.10 and are available in two convenient sizes, 11" x 8.5" x 5.5" and 13.625" x 11.875" x 3.375".

Thanks again enjoy and good luck,

Jim

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Jim, Looking forward to growing some of your Brugs. Thanks for all the info and great pictures.
    Jardinera

• gee8ch
    17 years ago

Hi Jim: E-mailed my address and have sent $8.50 to cover mailing. I will appreciate anything you decide to send. Thanx so very much for sharing, especially with some of us newbies. Good luck with the rest of your buckets, and keep up the good work. Happy New Year. Gloria

• diane_v_44
    17 years ago

This has been quite informative, especially the photos.
    Hope you will keep us informed of how your Brugmansia are growing Jim.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey guys those of you who I am shipping brugs to. I was ready and my son told me the post office is closed. Bush made it a federal holiday due to the death of Geral Ford. I can ship Wednesday if you like. Let me know.

I will update in a little while the Brung bucket. Maybe I can answer some questions like, what is a good brung prospect and what is not.

Jim

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A healthy Brug will after the 1st week have developed small white nodes on the area below the water. A brug that is having problems will not developed the nodes. After the 1st week if the cutting feels pliable is my be going bad. A good idea is to pick them up everyday and look at them you will soon be able to tell the good ones from the bad.

Bad Brung- bad pic but you get the idea

{{gwi:584734}}

good Brung

{{gwi:584735}}

Notice the brug to the left without nodes- these are problem cuttings. If you have enough you might want to discard them or isolate them into a small container with rooting hormone. Small and flexiable ones should be isolated also as these will proably contaminate the bucket. If you do not have time to pick each one up then smell the bucket it it has an ordor there is a problem and it must be cleaned.

{{gwi:584736}}

Secondary growth is a good idication that all is well.

{{gwi:584737}}

Two buckets that had problems but as an experiment were continued with marginal brugs cuttings. Once these were removed the problem ceased. Rooting in a bucket is fun and you should try other items. It works very well. I have done a rose, jasmine, honeysuckle ( in the last 4 weeks) and will try some passion flower just for kicks. I bet you see other items in there. It does not seen to effect the brugs at all.

{{gwi:584738}}

Here is the last of my cuttings from 1 month ago these were the slow ones ready to go fishing-Floundering. The other are 18 inches tall.

{{gwi:584739}}

Now for the ones that do not want to put out roots but have nodes it is best to plant them. (I guess) It worked for me. I had one extremly large cutting(thick) it just would not make roots so I decided to do the lay it flat and cover all but 1/3 of the top. Well 2 10" cuttings made 9 plants. It seems to work well for very thick woody cuttings. Most of these are going elsewhere so maybe they will update the renegade bucket saga. PS- I did these with well water direct, the 1st ones were done with Reverse Osmosis water what I drink from the well. I guess water is like plasma the better the water the better the results. Municipal water should be good but let it sit for a day so the chlorine comes out.

That is the update hope everyone had a happy holiday. I did figure how to add my trade list and clippings so browse if you want.

Jim

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Jim it looks like you've done a great job with your cuttings and are quickly becoming a brug addict : ) When you ship the cuttings make sure the box is well insulated, lot's of peanuts, paper, whatever. I'm in zone 7a and against my better judgement (I just couldn't resist lol) got some cuttings last week. Even though they were sent priority and we haven't had freezing temps a few of them went bad from the cold. Keep those babies wrapped up nice and warm in their box and you should be fine. Happy New Year!
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    17 years ago

Hi Jim: WOW! You are becoming the Brug Doctor! Great info, many thanx, learning a lot from your experiences. Re: shipping, Whenever you mail is just fine with me. Fortunately,no freezing temps here. Looking forward to continuing your good work with these cuttings. Will keep you posted. Thanx, again. Gloria

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

Hi Jim, Your info was great and the pictures even better! Thanks so much. Whenever you ship is fine by me too. I am looking forward to planting. Weather here is nice now so I shouldn't have a problem. Keep the pictures coming. Jardinera

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Plants are on their way. I will email tracking numbers. I would look for them Saturday on Monday.

PS: They boxes are full of plants and cuttings.

Jim

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

WOW!!!
    Got my box on Monday and it was full to the rim. Thank you so much. You did a very nice job packing them. They all arrived unharmed. I can't wait till spring. Thanks again,
    Jardinera

• etfishwolf
    17 years ago

hey Jim;

I just found this forum and have been reading your adventure with the Brug cuttings. Any chance you have any left? If so I would be interested. Thanks.

Steve

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey Jim!!!
    You have worked very hard and done a wonderful job.. That is so very cool and very generous of you to share so much....
    You ROCK!!!
    Chena

• neonposey
    17 years ago

Oh man! I hate I missed this (by 3 months). I've been begging brug seeds and cuttings all over gardenweb! LOL.

Did I read this right? Did you say you had rooted roses with this method also? If so, I'll definately have to try it. We've got a hot pink rose bush at work thats to die for. I'm its caretaker, but I stink at rooting things, so haven't bothered to try to root a cutting of it. If you've truely had success with roses, I may just have to try this method and see if my brown thumb turns green. ;)

Good luck with your brug 'farm'. I can't wait to see pictures at the height of summer. It should be amazing.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It does work for roses, well just about anything. I have tried a bunch of things. They all work. I even heard some talk of this being done with Plumeria. I have 2 unknowns and was about to pot them up. I think I will try rooting them in the bucket. If they start to root then seem to stall dose them with rooting hormone and put them into soil. It is just a easy way to start them and very convenient. I would try anything it is pretty hard to make a mistake if you look at each piece daily. Then you will know when to change water etc.

I have a green thumb for propagating but my soil in the yard and all the pests just wants to kill them. I am fighting a spotted spider mite problem right now. I do not know where they came from but them have invaded everything except the cactus.

Jim

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting