SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Most fragrant HARDY flowers for cutting

phylrae
14 years ago

I grow quite a few perennials/annuals for cutting here in zone 5a, ie, some of each: peonies, lilac, buddleia, oriental/OT lilies, roses, daffodils, carnations/dianthus, phlox, siberian/spuria iris, monarda, agastache, lavender...there may be others, I just can't think of them right now. I didn't have much success with lilies of the valley (they grew, but didn't bloom well), plus they were too short.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest anything ELSE that I might be missing that I can cut for my bouquets (I sell them locally). I tried sweet peas but they seemed too labor-intensive (I have a regular fulltime job as well).

Would trying to grow some kind of honeysuckle or jasmine work for cutting for vases (and wintering it over in the garage like I do my agastache, carnations and lavender) ?

I was also wondering if anyone had any ideas for chocolate smelling flowers (other than the "chocolate flower"-as I read that its petals drop everyday. Not good for bouquets!

I have heard of flowering tobacco (nicotiana) but have never smelled it...it doesn't smell bad like nicotine, right? :0)

Thank you! :0) Phyl

Comments (15)