SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

This Winter's project(s)

First of a few major projects. The last few involve removing the turf out front completely. This change to my backyard gardens revolved around giving a large conifer specimen a bit more room and removing some paths to put in, you guessed it, more conifers. Some were moved, a few acquired in trades. There will always be more changes, but the major landscaping changes are getting close to finished.

A few before/after photos.

Originally shot this photo for the three deer(hard to see near the back), which is only the second time I've ever had a deer sighting. This was about 2010.
{{gwi:644376}}

Today, Feb 2013.
{{gwi:644377}}

The original circle path, about three years ago.
{{gwi:644378}}

Today.
{{gwi:644379}}

My paths now make two wide round-abouts around the backyard garden and while there is a flagstone path for myself, I am going to recommend most garden visitors stay on the gravel paths. Coniferites will be allowed all access. :)

One path ends in a bench, the other two in birdbaths(I have a blue ceramic one indoors for Winter).
{{gwi:644381}}
{{gwi:644383}}

Some closeups. I'd be happy to identify any plants for those interested.
{{gwi:644385}}

On the left is Picea abies 'Catharine's Golden Heart', moved for the third time in three years to give it more sunshine. It should be a nice golden color here and still get a little bit of evening shade at the peak of Summer. It's about 11-13 years old.
{{gwi:644386}}

{{gwi:644387}}
{{gwi:644388}}

-Will

Comments (12)