SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zagadka_gw

Lemon tree woes - lack of leaves, yellowing, skinny branches

zagadka
15 years ago

GÂday all,

Last year in November I bought a lemon tree, I think it may only be a couple of years old because itÂs still quite small.

The problem I have is that it isnÂt growing much at all. ItÂs still the same height and has only sprouted 2-3 new leaves since I bought it.

The tree is about 40cm high from the trunk base and has 11 leaves which are on average about a third smaller than a standard computer mouse. It has 2 branch stems so that the whole tree forms a Y shape. On one branch stem the flower petals are falling off and now turning into small fruits and on the other one the flower buds havenÂt opened yet.

his is the 3rd time it has borne flowers. The last time 1 lemon started to grow and did for about 2 months until one day it just dropped off.

Over the past few days the leaves have slowly started to turn yellow, and small light brown patched have appeared on a couple of the leaves.

I must admit that I have only given it food every 2 months as advised by a sales assistant in a garden shop (I also think now that the food isnÂt suitable at all) I water it only when the top inch or so of the soil is dry. The pot height is about half the height of the plant and in diameter itÂs about an inch larger than a CD. There are no drainage holes in the bottom of the pot.

I realize now that I need to repot it in a proper pot and give it some proper food. How big should the pot be and what food should I be aiming for?

I live in Poland, and the climate isnÂt really super. There isnÂt a lot of humidity. On average, because we are in summer now, the tree gets about 6 hours of direct sunlight a day. But over the past week or so it has been much cooler. In the winter I keep it in the living room by the window and water more sparingly. The room is kept warm during the winter.

One problem also may be that there are very bright street lights outside the window, should I bring the plant in at night and put it in a dark room? What can I do to promote more leaf growth and to keep it short and bushy?

I know this was a lengthy post, so I really appreciate any replies:)

Stephen.

P.s I don't have a camera so I can't post a pic.

Comment (1)