SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Herbaceous Support Idea (it worked!)

Carrie B
16 years ago

This spring, I bought my first herbaceous clematis: Roogucci, integrifolia, alionushka and durandii. I'd been trying to figure out how to support them as they grow, since, at this point, they've been pretty much just trailing along the ground. Alionushka has a lovely flower on it, and I wanted to highlight it somehow, and get it off the ground.

I was in my basement looking around this morning when I saw a hanging basket, one of the ones with a metal frame, 3 chains and a coco liner. I had an a-ha moment. I removed the hanging chains, removed the coco liner, and turned the metal "frame" upside down over alionushka. I then pulled the clematis vines up and through the metal bars. It looks great! So, I decided to buy some more baskets (50% off!) and to do that with my other non-climbing clematis.

I know that this will only work while these clematis are quite small, but I paid less than $10 each for these baskets. I'd love to hear of any other supports that have worked well with your herbaceous clematis.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting