SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timsf

Meyer lemon tree in 511 mix - any successes?

timsf
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but have read very helpful past posts from MeyerMike, Al, Andrew, Josh, Toni, and others regarding growing citrus in containers in gritty or 511 mix. I live in San Fran and currently have 3 Improved Meyer (IM) lemon trees from Four Winds in the ground (I'll post pics another time) which are doing well after A few weeks ago, on advice from this forum, I made a 511 mix of micro bark, peat, and perlite, also adding 1 tbsp gypsum per gal of mix. I washed off all the nursery dirt from the roots and replanted in the 511 mix, then added an additional couple of inches of bark on top for insulation/moisture retention. Following transplanting, I kept the tree shaded and, using the wooden dowel method to test for dryness, watered every few days with plain water for two weeks allowing tree to acclimate to the media In the last couple weeks, I've recently been watering with 1/4 tsp Foliage Pro + 1 capful vinegar in room temp water w/each watering. The tree is situated in my very sunny dining room, getting good morning (East) and afternoon (West) sun; I'd say it receives 8-10 hrs of sun when there is no fog (which is more the case in SF than not, unfortunately).

As you can see from the pics below, although the tree is in full bloom, it has lost all of it's leaves following transplanting, and I'm doing my best to be patient and allow the roots (and hopefully leaves thereafter) to recover. My questions are as follows:

1) Anyone out there have any success w/Meyer lemons in 511 mix (especially in the SF/Bay Area)? I remember reading a post that even MeyerMike was having difficulties w/Meyers in containers (but could have been more to do with over-wintering issues in the NE).

2) How long does it usually take before one sees leaves after transplant shock?

3) Do any of you have pics of your Meyer lemon trees in 511 mix that you could post to give me hope?

4) Any other helpful suggestions you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Tim

Improved Meyer lemon after transplanting:

{{gwi:600236}}

After a few weeks in shade & plain water, just started FP + vinegar:

{{gwi:600237}}
{{gwi:600238}}

Comments (25)