SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spruceman

Evidence of seed source from Norway spruce cones?

15 years ago

I have written in one or two other postings in this forum about the importance of Norway spruce seed source/provenance. I have also written about one stand of planted NS near Galdy, WV that seems to be especially good. I have been wondering about the possible seed source for the trees in this stand.

Well, maybe one indicator could be the characteristics of the cones. The cones from the trees in this stand seem somewhat different from those in virtually all the other NS stands I have found, so....

Here are the distinctive features of the cones:

1. They are the largest, on average, of all the NS cones I have seen. Something like 30% longer, maybe more, I would guess, than most I see.

2. The cones have more deeply toothed or serrated bottoms or ends of the cone scales. Also, the cone scales when dry seem to be more wavy or crinkled at the ends.

3. When the cones are "green," they have a very prominent purplish color over a good portion of their surface. I think the more purplish parts of the cones are the portion more exposed to the sun when they are growing. I have seen this purplish color on NS cones from other stands, but not nearly so much.

I have seen some stands where there is considerable variation in cones from tree to tree--and considerable variation in other characteristics of the trees as well. But in this stand Near Glady, WV, there is a lot of consistency in the appearance of the cones. And the cones from all of the best trees all seem to show the characteristics I have listed. A few trees have more "normal" looking cones, but these are, as far as I could observe, all from the weaker trees.

So, does any of my information here suggest anything about the seed source for these trees??

--Spruce

Comments (6)