SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hacknfrack

Dying lime tree

hacknfrack
9 years ago

I am, admittedly, a novice at gardening and do not appear to have my mother's green thumb. My wife and I purchased our first house after moving to South Texas and have a west-facing covered patio that gets lots of sun. When I took my job down here I decided I wanted a lime tree and thought it would work great in a pot out on our patio, especially since there is limited space in the back.

The tree was growing pretty well - lots of leaves, flowers, and little green things in the middle of the flowers that looked like the should have turned into limes, but that never happened. Back in March, we repotted it in a bigger pot and that's when things started going downhill. I used potting soil, which I have since read was bad to do. I have also fertilized it with citrus tree food, but that didn't help. Of the three trunks, one is all brown, and the other two just have three leaf clusters between them. They are really big leaves, but three clusters.

Before it got down to these clusters, there were several leaves, but we had some 100+ degree days in April and the leaves got spots that looked like sunburn.

When I water the tree, most of the water seems to run out the bottom of the pot.

From what I've read, it sounds like I might have root rot. Is that likely the case and can I repot with a different potting mix and possibly save my tree?

Thanks.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting