SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wondernugget

Jade Plant - Good Questions from a Newbie

wondernugget
15 years ago

Hi. I'm new and I am a first time owner of a jade plant. I obtained said plant from eBay and the seller apparently took the picture from the plant's best angle. I've been doing research for hours and I've come to the conclusion that I am probably going to end up doing quite a bit of pruning or take off a bunch of cuttings, leaving the 'trunk' barren with the opportunity for a second try. I apologize, but I do not have access to a digital camera so I am not able to post a picture. I do have some questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.

First, some plant facts: 4"x4" pot, plant width = 12", plant height from dirt line = 6", 'trunk' height is approx. 1", Hobbit variety, some of the leaves have red edging

Observations: appears to be grown from a cutting with 4 main branches emanating out of the short trunk, 2 largest branches have drooped to and below the dirt line (not including the leaves), appears to be fairly young as the trunk is just beginning to get woody scaling, other than drooping the plant appears to be healthy with fairly dense clusters of leaves

Questions

How young is too young to begin pruning a jade?

If the branches have drooped due to insufficient watering will they straighten up once they've gotten enough water for an extended period of time?

What causes new branches and leaves to grow and/or what happens at the site of pruning? (I'm thinking about when I prune a lilac tree/bush/thing and the next time I get sent out there with the shears 5 new branches have shot out of the incision.)

Advice Seeked

If this was your plant how would you proceed? I really want to like this plant and not feel disappointed every time I look at it. I have accepted the fact that this may be one big failed experiment (when you're a scientist failure happens daily).

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!