SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
americangolden

Jade Plant Questions

13 years ago

Hello,

I am new to this forum & new to gardening. I am living in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. I have a jade plant that I have had for I think 6 years. I recently had another jade plant that was about 4 years old die instantly from rot. I never knew anything about overwatering etc I guess I just got lucky with my 6 year old plant.

I just transplanted my plant to a new pot & used a Cactus and Succulent Mix I bought from Home Depot. I transplanted it 5 days ago and gave it a very small sprinkle of water 3 days ago.

Today I went to a local garden store and bought Schultz Cactus Plus Liquid Plant Food. It says on the box "For all cacti, jade, aloe vera and other succulents. Disolves completely and instantly. Just 7 Drops® per quart of water."

Now what I am wondering is how I go about watering my plant. I don't know if I am supposed to use the 7 drops in the water and pour the whole quart of water each time I water my plant?

I have my plant in a room with a west window that I keep the shades open most of the time & there is a north window in the room that the shade is almost always shut. The jade plant is about 10" high at its highest point but it seems to be growing out and not up. Growing out I have one branch that is about 19". How do I make the plant go up and not so tipsy?

How do I take cuttings from the plant and start new pots of jade plants?

One last question is how come it looks like bark on part of the plant stems but other parts of the plant are green? Is that normal to turn to a bark look?

I would like to share a picture of my plant but don't see a option to do so. If anyone can let me know how i'd love to share a picture.

Hope I don't have too many questions and hope I can get some help and learn some stuff here :)!

Comments (77)

• 13 years ago

:)

I just put my Jade outside going to bring it inside in 1 hour.

Is this enough morning sun for startering to introduce it to outside sun?

After I know how long to keep it outside I will bring it in and make the cuttings.

• 13 years ago

Can you also tell me a name of a *dry* mix you would recomend me to buy. I have a home depot, local nurserys, menards close by to where I live if that helps on a recomendation.

• Related Discussions

Jade plant question

Q

Comments (3)
    They are just marginally hardy here in zone 9 so I don't think they would be happy out in your garden.Keep it in a pot so you can move it around easy-having it outdoors from late spring through summer,and then bring it indoors for the cooler months.Give it a dose of fertilizer around Easter.
    ...See More

Jade Pruning

Q

Comments (5)
    TJ, Your soil is highly unsuitable for the Crassula ovata, hence the leaves rotting. You need more porosity in your soil. In your reading here you'll run across some good soil recipes (the right one is the one that (1) works for you and (2) has the ingredients you can get)) - you should immediately remove your plant from that soil and let it dry for several days, or even a week or two - the plant will be fine. In the meantime, you'll be able to get the ingredients for the mix. It doesn't have to be special, but Crassula need drainage, and your soil doesn't have much. My two pfennigs' worth.
    ...See More

First Jade Plant: Question

Q

Comments (8)
    When you pot up any plant, especially a small one or a cutting like yours, try to get it a little higher up in the pot, it will give it even more light and will also make it look better for you! Give it the sunniest spot if it's indoors during the cooler months. Also, the pot is slightly in the large size given the size of the cutting and the fact that it will have a very small rootball and the more 'empty' mix you have be greater the chance of rot. Whether you decide to re-pot into a smaller one is up to you though, but bear in mind that if your coming temps will be cool (not checked your location yet), be very sparing with the water as cold and wet = rot. Hope this helps, it should do well for you i'm sure. Gill UK
    ...See More

Jade plant questions - pot and soil

Q

Comments (49)
    Black spots should be okay. I know it is kept dry so very low chance of fungus. Drying leaves look ugly! They should go grey and crystalline eventually. Then fall off easily. Plant is trying to grow roots and balance the amount of foliage with roots. In recovery, I err to water not quite enough on a plant this size (as it is robust and resilient) than over water and risk rot. In other words I'd rather lose some leaves which won't be noticeable overall/in the grand scheme of things than risk rot.
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

Hey, an hour is just fine to start.
    Outdoor shade is brighter than a sunny window indoors, so don't hesitate to move the Jade in
    and out of the sun throughout the day. Also, turning your plant frequently will allow sun to
    hit all sides, making for a more balanced, healthy, colorful, and compact plant.

You can make your cuts whenever you're ready - I'd cut now, in fact.

Keep the cuttings indoors, but put the plant back outside.

If you have an area of partial sun/partial shade, you can leave your Jade outside longer.
    When I bring my plants outside in early Spring, I set them close to the deck-rail so that the
    sun is shaded through the pickets.

Josh

• 13 years ago

Golden,
    I honestly cannot recommend a mix that comes in a bag.
    However, you can start by purchasing a bag of large-grained Perlite.
    You can root cuttings or grow Jades in pure Perlite, in a pinch.

There are many different soil mixes that will create excellent drainage.
    Gritty ingredients are key. I use a mix of Perlite, Pumice, and Orchid Bark.

{{gwi:587144}}
    {{gwi:587145}}
    {{gwi:587147}}

Josh

• 13 years ago

Going to make the cuts now I'll post a follow up picture shortly.

• 13 years ago

Divide and conquer....! ;)

Josh

• 13 years ago

I made the cuts & put my jade back out in the sun for 15 min then going to move it into the shade outside.

My fiance currently has the camera I see and she wont be back till later today so I'll have to wait on the picture upload till later tonight.

I measured the cuttings & here how big each of the 3 are:

5 1/4"

6 1/4"

9 1/4"

How deep down do I plant these in a week when they are callused over?

How far up should I break leaves off for planting the cuttings?

• 13 years ago

Excellent. Great questions, too.

In general, I bury the bottom 2 - 3 nodes.

Post a pic of the cuttings (when the camera and fiance return) - it'll help to determine
    how many leaves to pull. You might not need to pull any leaves. The lower, older leaves
    will shrivel and fall from the cuttings over the next few weeks anyhow.

Josh

• 13 years ago

Ok I found our old camera & took a picture :).

Let me know how the cuttings look.

{{gwi:587148}}

• 13 years ago

Here are 2 more pictures of the cuttings to get a better look at the nodes.

{{gwi:587149}}

{{gwi:587150}}

• 13 years ago

Great cuttings.
    Give me a minute to make some marks on the image....

{{gwi:587151}}

The tip-cutting is perfect.

On the 5+ inch cutting, pluck that lowest leaf (marked X).

On the 6+ and the 9+ inch cuttings, pluck those lowest little branches/stems.
    When you pot these two, cover the area where the branches were with potting mix.
    New roots will spring from those nodes.

I think you're in business, sir.

Josh

• 13 years ago

Here are the pluckings & a picture of the whacked jade.

Are all the smaller cuts & leaves supposed to be discarded, or will they take root also?

They are in front of a south window blocked by the blinds on the window. Would it be better in my room with a west window?

{{gwi:66802}}

{{gwi:587152}}

{{gwi:66801}}

{{gwi:587153}}

{{gwi:587154}}

{{gwi:587155}}

{{gwi:66803}}

• 13 years ago

Looks like you are going to get quite a few more plants out of that one..

Wow, what a very informative thread for all of us, even newbies like my niece..

Thank you for this and the illustrations..

Hi Josh, great job and very kind of you to illustrate!

Mike

• 13 years ago

Oh Brad, your plants are amazing!! I stopped by and had to tell you!

Great work.

Mike

• 13 years ago

I bought "Bontone ROOTING POWER" today & am wondering when I am supposed to use this?

Do I wait for the cuttings to callus over then use this?

I have never used rooting hormone before any help would be appreciated.

• 13 years ago

Don't bother, it's entirely unnecessary, your Jades will root just fine w/out it.

One thing about rooting hormone is many folks use more for the antifungal it contains than the rooting hormone.

Since you've said you're new to gardening, pls. know that not everything sold out there as plant accessories is necessary for good growing. The more one grows, the more one learns these things.

Often it's helpful to learn about the basics first like mixes, watering & light, before progressing to fertilizers, amendments, etc. Good basic Gardening books like Readers Digest Success w/ Plants can offer great information on all this stuff. Reading over the basis a few times can be really helpful.

Very nice plants Para, thanks for the show.

• 13 years ago

Ooops, sorry for the typo --

"Reading over the basis a few times"

sould have read --

"Reading over the BASICS a few times"

• 13 years ago

Brad, thank you. A kind word goes far...

American, thanks for the additional pics.
    While the Jade is inside, I think the South window is better than the West window.
    However, can you open those blinds? Jades need a lot of light if they aren't in the sun.
    That said, I assume that you're sunning your Jade outside again this morning?

As for rooting hormone...I've never used it on Jades! ;)
    Pirate Girl is correct - it really is unnecessary with Jades.
    *If* you were to use the rooting powder, you would apply it to the wet ends of your
    cuttings/leaves. But they're probably well on their way to forming a callus at this point.

Josh

• 13 years ago

Thanks & yes I can open the blinds. I did take the Jade outside this morning doing a little over a hour today.

Alright thanks I can tell that the cut parts are starting to callus over they have a shivel look almost like they are trying to close around the end.

• 13 years ago

Very good!
    The little cut parts will shrivel and fall off, leaving a smooth callus below.
    Soon, two little red dots will appear on opposite sides of the callus. These will
    grow into new branches.

Josh

• 13 years ago

How does the process work with the single leaves I have? There is no end to shrivel and fall off.

Thanks again for all the information. I am glad this helps others as much as it helps me! I am learning so much about my Jade plant :).

• 13 years ago

American,
    peruse this Thread.... ;)
    I love Jades, and I encourage everyone to grow them!
    Roots grow from the stem-end of the leaves. Set the leaf 1/4 to 1/2 inch into your dry mix.

Plucked my Jade's Leaves (pics)

Josh

• 13 years ago

Only 1 day later and I can tell the process is starting.

Here are some pictures of the cutting ends & plant ends where the cuts were made to 3 parts of the Jade plant.

{{gwi:587159}}

{{gwi:587160}}

{{gwi:587161}}

{{gwi:587162}}

{{gwi:587163}}

{{gwi:587164}}

{{gwi:587165}}

• 13 years ago

Like clockwork... ;)

I can even see some new buds at various nodes below the recent cuts.

Josh

• 13 years ago

I'm excited to plant the cuttings & watch the new growth on my Jade plant!

• 13 years ago

Brad, those are some really NICE Jades...love the thick trunks on them.

American, you've gotten some great advise here, best of luck with your newly pruned Jades and rooting them! Keep us posted!

• 13 years ago

Wow...this thread really took off! AG, you got some great advice from the Jadeophiles on this forum. Looks like your on the road to a healthier, fuller plant.

• 13 years ago

Here is a picture I just took of my Jade outside. I see new growth coming out by the 2 leaves on the last picture.

All the cuts seem to be callusing over well too! I'm suprised how fast it's moving along :).

{{gwi:587166}}

{{gwi:587167}}

{{gwi:587168}}

{{gwi:587169}}

• 13 years ago

paracelsus, very nice gollum (or hobbit, can't tell!)

• 13 years ago

My soil in my Jade plant feels pretty dry. Is it time to give it a good water? How far down should I be feeling testing for dryness?

How much do I need to let my cuttings callus over? Do they need to be fully shut on the ends or when will I know they are ready?

• 13 years ago

When did you last soak it? I usually wait about 2 weeks between drenchings and usually guage it more on how the leaf feels. If it's full and plump....no water. Soft when you apply a bit of pressure to it...water. I think we all have our own tips....be interesting to see others input.

I'd say you are fine to plant those cuttings.

Josh...how are those cuttings doing? Everyone one of those un-rooted CC cuttings you sent me have grown new segments.

• 13 years ago

American,
    have those end-pieces dried up and dropped off of the cuttings completely?
    If you can see the actual callus, then the cuttings can be potted.
    But remember: No roots, no water.

For the potted Jade:
    Feel the leaves of your Jade, as John mentioned above.
    If the leaves are soft, like an earlobe, then water. If the leaves are firm, do not water.

John, that's great to hear!
    Your Jade is looking fantastic - a lovely lime-green. It's my mom's favorite...

{{gwi:587170}}

Josh

• 13 years ago

The ends have not fallen off yet so I will wait.

I feel the leaves and they feel firm but a little soft. I'll wait a few more days maybe they will get softer?

• 13 years ago

A rule of thumb for C&S with regards to watering....."when in doubt, don't"

• 13 years ago

Hello everyone!

I bought a small pot and planted the very small cuttings & leafs in a C/S mix. I set them in a west window for the moment unsure how much sunlight they should be getting right away? I am supposed to wait until I see new growth of them before watering correct? How long does this usually take? Should I be putting them outside with my Jade plant or keeping them inside with low doses of sunlight until growth?

On my Jade plant 2 of the callus ends poped off when I touched them today. Still waiting for the 3rd one to come off. I see a lot of new growth at almost all of the nodes on the plant :)!

I had the ends pop off on the really small cuttings that I potted today but still waiting on the big cuttings. You can see in the pictures they are closed off so I should keep waiting till they pop off correct? I had 2 leaves & the top part of the big cutting fall off, is this normal? The part that fell off of the big cutting seems fine and I took a picture of it.

I took some pictures let me know how you think everything is coming along and any info you can give me on the next steps I should be taking. I also haven't watered my Jade yet.

{{gwi:587171}}

{{gwi:587172}}

{{gwi:587173}}

{{gwi:587174}}

{{gwi:587175}}

{{gwi:587177}}

{{gwi:587178}}

{{gwi:587179}}

{{gwi:587180}}

• 13 years ago

It's been exactly 7 days since I made the cuttings. The ends have not fallen off of any of them and if I wiggle on them they don't seem like they are going to come off either.

Am I supposed to wait for these ends to fall off before potting or has it been long enough?

I don't want to repot and lose the cuttings so if anyone can answer ASAP I'd really appreciate it!

• 13 years ago

Hey, Golden!
    Go ahead and pot the cuttings! It's been long enough.
    Eventhough the ends haven't popped off, I think you can be sure that the callus has formed.
    Also, go ahead and dribble a little bit of water around the pot of leaves and tip-cuttings.
    Just try not to splash the leaves or tips directly. You want the roots to find the water,
    not the water to find the roots.

Your main Jade plant is already responding well.
    The cuts that you made have formed a perfect, smooth callus - and growth is erupting
    from all those nodes. If the dried piece of the internode doesn't pop off easily, I just leave
    it alone - eventually, the new growth will displace it. Also, a drop of water on the dried
    piece will often loosen and free the cut-end within minutes...especially on a hot day.

How is the Jade doing with the increasing outdoor exposure?

Josh

• 13 years ago

Alright awesome. Should I be putting the leaf cuttings that I have potted & the new cuttings in outdoor sun or keep them indoors in a south or west window?

I will dribble a little water :).

My Jade seems to be doing great with outdoor exposure. With the new growth starting does that mean it is still using up moisture in the new soil?

• 13 years ago

I potted all the cuttings & gave a little dribble of water to the leafs & cuttings. I have them sitting on the step outside in the shade for now.

• 13 years ago

The cuttings need to be in shade for the time being.
    I would keep them inside to prevent the tender tissue from drying out before the cuttings have developed roots.

Your Jade might be drawing moisture from the new soil, or it might be using moisture from its own reserves.
    Feel the leaves - if they are soft, like an earlobe, your plant could use water. If the leaves are firm, don't water...
    eventhough you see new growth.

Josh

• 13 years ago

Ok I'm bringing the cuttings inside then :). Do I give it any sunlight fron window inside or just keep it in a shaded room?

The Jade outside is starting to feel soft on the leaves and the soil is very dry. It has been very hot here lately! I gave it a nice soak :).

• 13 years ago

Here is a quick picture before I head out for today of what I all got from the cuttings/leaves :). Now the wait, hope they all root!

Here is what I all got waiting to root now:

4 Large cuttings
    4 Small cuttings
    6 Leaves

{{gwi:587181}}

• 13 years ago

They will do best if they receive bright, indirect light at first. A window is fine, but make sure
    that they aren't getting too hot in the south or west window.

The larger cuttings will usually take a little longer to root, and they'll look worse before they
    start to look better. Don't get discouraged, and don't overwater.

Wait until you see new growth before you water again.
    Have a great day!

Josh

• 13 years ago

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it :)!

I will keep this thread updated with how the plants are doing!

• 13 years ago

It's been awhile just giving a update how everything is doing. Some of the jade cuttings started roots and a few of the leafs also started roots. I bought perlite and mixed it in with everything to help with better drainage. I switched some stuff around hopefully it helps out with everything.

Also one main branch fell off of my Jade plant yesterday where I made one of the 3 cuttings. I was just feeling one of the leaves and it poped off. I potted it in pure perlite hopefully it roots. You can see in the picture below.

Is it normal that it broke off after this long it was right where the cut was if you look at pictures above you will see what I'm talking about.

Lastly my Jade is started to turn red around the leave edges. I've been putting it in the sun as much as possible :). Hopefully you can tell in the pictures. I'll try to get some better pictures outside in the sun later this week.

Anyways enough talk here are some pictures :).

{{gwi:587182}}

{{gwi:587183}}

{{gwi:587185}}

{{gwi:587188}}

{{gwi:587189}}

{{gwi:587190}}

{{gwi:587191}}

• 13 years ago

I am not sure of what kind of terracotta pots are best for jades-- how shallow can they be and does this cause them to not stand up alone-- I have a 7.5" pot 6.5" deep is it too shallow-- is it best to put 2 or 3 plants together or do them
    separate ???? from your pictures mine seem much stronger
    I have 2 plastic pots and they hold the moisture longer--than terracotta but so far so good-- I have pictures just not sure how to post them Pls Help on all questions..
    I fear I UNDER-WATER S THESE came from my deceased brothers plant and it is important it grows for as long as I do.
    Thanks
    Mari

• 13 years ago

Mari,

That's a great sentiment to have, but you might want to post your question separately if you want more potential responses. Briefly,

1) Post pictures at Photobucket or like - grab HTML code and post in message here.

2) Read about jade plants (Crassula ovata) here by using the search function. Your reading of previous posts, along with the illustrative pictures that are there by the hundreds for the thousands of words, will do you well.

3) It's all dependent on the size of the plants you put in. You can prop them up with rocks and mist (not water) them until they're in active, visible growth.

• 7 years ago

Hi Americangolden,

Just wondering what your Jade looks like now. (six years later)

Cede

• 7 years ago

What an informative thread!

I'd love to see how the Jade looks now too!! :)

Marie