SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weeddummie

lemon tree fruit growth sequence? (and other problems :( )

weeddummie
18 years ago

G'day garden lovers,

I am very new to all this, so do excuse this long post. I've been trying to look for guided pictures/photos of how lemon fruit grow without avail. If you have a look at {{gwi:597720}} here, could you let me know where the lemon fruit eventually grows from? Is is the yellow tip at the end, or the green bulge at the bottom of the bud? I suppose it can't be the former as on my potted dwarf lemon tree, the yellow tip eventually turns black and dries off (?). Any good links about this to recommend us?

But I'm having a problem anyway, and would like to understand what exactly is happening to my dwarf lemon tree. There's been several persistent ants in the top flowering area (as you can see in the photo :( ), and I think they were bringing in aphids. I don't see the green ones at the moment (they were heaps last month but a recent frost seemed to have killed them off - it's winter here now), but i only just saw today (besides the ants) a couple of whiteish aphids and a small green caterpillar at the flowers. Is this why one of the flowers had a hole (with an ant inside), and a few flowers seem to drop off so easily, and all flowers I see have 'spots' of translucent colouring (but could this be just the normal petal structure(?).

From what I've read here so far, I think black ants are a bad thing. I try removing the ants manually, but they keep coming back, so could there be a colony of ants in my pot? They're only on my flowers at the moment, and the leaves seem healthy.

Being my only potted plant, do you think it's ok to use pyrethrum spray on the flower area for any insects that may be there? What else can I do about this ants and perhaps weak fruiting problem?

Lotsa thanks, really appreciate all the help from this site so far :)

Comments (15)