SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuvalu713

Potting Mix for Citrus, I know it's been asked before!

tuvalu713
16 years ago

Hi,

I've spent a great deal of time looking through older messages on this forum today concerning recommended mixes to plant container grown citrus in. (I usually post and read messages in the orchards forum.)

I ordered some citrus trees from fourwinds this weekend. I have a tangerine tree, since November, potted in Miracle grow. I'm very eager to finally grow some more citrus and made some of my selections based on things I read in this forum. Well, to get to the point-I didn't research the potting medium I should be using. I presumed, whatever I needed to plant the citrus in, I could easily find the ingredients for a soil mix from the store.

The three citrus trees I have will be kept outside in the summer (for about 3-4 months of the year) and indoors during the rest of the year. I have no problem watering the citrus daily. Based on this and considering I'm a new citrus grower, do y'all recommend I go for it and try a coconut husk/peat mixture (like millet's)? Can the peat be any old spagnum peat from the store? Would a mix of 1/3 pine bark, 1/3 Turface, 1/3 crushed granite or a soil conditioner be a better option for me?

Many thanks,

Mika

Comments (4)