SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bnjmik

Alberta Spruce Didn't Get Planted

bnjmik
10 years ago

So I let my daughter talk me into buying this really cute live "Christmas tree" from Costco back in November.

Suffice it to say, I didn't get it planted before the weather went to pot and now it is January and the ground is frozen. The tree now lives in my 60-degree basement.

What should I do with this thing? Everything I'm reading says not to try to plant it when the ground is frozen. Makes sense.

I've been watering it about once every two weeks and it looks healthy and the needles are soft and not shedding, though it is getting no sunlight. I'm thinking this is the wrong thing to do.

Should I place it outside and stop watering it so it will go dormant? I can stabilize the pot so it doesn't tip in the wind then (hopefully) plant it in the spring. I also have a south-facing sun porch that warms up (above freezing) during the day where I can put it and keep watering it, or I can leave it in the basement and keep doing what I'm doing.

Let me know what you think. I would hate to lose this thing due to my ignorance.

I'm in rural Kansas City by the way.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Comments (4)