SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
getyourleash

UPDATE:Clematis Revival

getyourleash
18 years ago

Hello,

I posted not too long ago on here about my clematis that was totally devoid of blooms. I was very upset that my previously prized bloomer had nothing but brown tough vines on it. Someone replied and guessed as to what pruning class it was and advised that I cut it at least 50% back, and fertilize it with rose food and give it a nice big drink of water. So, on this advice I gave my clematis a massive haircut (probably a bit more than advised) and fertilized it with rose food (Vigoro). I watered in the fertilizer. I waited. I don't think it was more than 3 days and suddenly I see baby leaves coming out of the woody vines that were given a hard pruning less than a week before! Those babies had more babies and soon my trellis began to get covered again. I wondered if this time was any different and if I was going to see blooms. Well, I've been ignoring my poor clematis because I'm taking a summer course in college. Today, I walked out to the mailbox and around the corner next to the pool and Lo And Behold! Buds! More than I have seen in severals years on my beloved clematis. It will bloom at an odd time, but I'm so glad to see that my clematis got what it needed. Your Rx to heal my clematis worked! All of you here in the clematis forum are so knowledgable and I appreciate this so much! I did not want to move this plant because it had been in the same spot 8 years and done well in times past. When she blooms, I shall post a picture. She's a very pretty lady. :)

Comments (2)

• suzymac
    18 years ago

Congratulations, this is why we're here to help ! It's nice to hear a success story !
    Suzy

• jeanne_texas
    18 years ago

I am so excited for you!!..A lot of people give up on Clematis because they don't have the proper information on what to do with them...These forums are wonderful for that...for if we have knowledge we have the bloomin' power..lol....Jeanne

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville