SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Please advise me on buying mail order clems, in August.

luxrosa
13 years ago

I finally bought a house and have room to plant my collection of antique roses from the 1800's, and before, and I'd like to plant 2-3 clematis, that were introduced in the 1800's or species clem, with the roses.

I'm looking for a clematis named

"Etoille de Violette" to grow with a lovely old yellow climbing rose named "Marechel Niel".

-The problem is that I wanted to buy from silverstarvinery.com because my neighbor raves about the size of the plants she gets from that nursery but they stop shipping in June.

would it be better to wait 9 months to buy from silverstarvinery.com or should I take a chance on a more distant nursery that ships smaller plants? I live c. 10 miles from San Francisco, Ca. and am concerned about the condition that smaller plants will arrive in, if they were shipped during the hot month of August from back east or the midwest.

Is there another clematis nursery that sells large rooted plants, as silverstarvinery.com does, and that ships year round? I live in a frost free area and would like to take advantage of this climate, and I'm eager to start planting.

Thanks very much,

Luxrosa

Comments (5)