SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trossoma

Citrus Drip Irrigation

trossoma
9 years ago

I have several dwarf citrus tree that are planted in raised planters (3x3 box, height 11 inches). Some of these trees were previously in pots. When I first planted the trees in the ground, I did not use raised beds. After some of the trees were not doing well, and finding that the soil was not draining well, I built the raised planters and re-planted them using palm/citrus soil. I have been using drip irrigation, but am not sure if my irrigation setup is OK or if I'm watering enough.

For the drip irrigation, I used netafilm drip line that has built-in emitters that are spaced every 12 inches and have a flow rate of .9 GPM. i circled the drip line around the canopy of each tree, with approx 9 inch radius from the trunk. I have been irrigating twice a week for a little over an hour. I have been checking the moisture levels and the moisture reading drops to around 50% a couple days or so after watering.

Couple of questions:

1. Is the drip irrigation setup ( circle w/ 4 emitters, 9 inch radius from trunk) sufficient to water the root ball? I was reading online that for young citrus you needed to keep the root ball moist. I'm not sure if I'm getting enough of the root ball moist with the 9 inch radius of the drip circle from the trunk.

2. Is it true that the moisture level should not drop below 50% or so for citrus? That was something else I read online.

Any suggestions or input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Comment (1)