SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yodio

Nelly Moser completely buried... and back from the dead????

yodio
15 years ago

After 20 years in NYC my DH & I are both totally new to gardening. That't to explain the following.

Back in April I bought my first clematis, a Nelly Moser from a box. Of course I know not to do that now, but back then we were ignorant. DH said he followed the instructions to the letter, planting the thing. In fact he buried tiny slip, covering the entire thing over with 4 inches of dirt. We never saw it again. So to cover the bare 2-ft spot in the yard (he planted it by the lamp post, or as close as he could get to its concrete base), I put down a terra cotta pot full of annuals. Didn't think about it again, except to tease him for burying instead of planting.

Cut to 3 months later and I decided to move my annuals pots around this morning. Lo and behold, under that pot are dozens of pale roots growing from the ground!

What is this? Could it *possibly* be that Nelly Moser? I know they can tolerate shade but... :). I guess whatever it was got water from the drainage from the pot. Anyone ever heard of anything like this? And if it *is* that $8 boxed clematis, what should I do now?

Comments (8)