SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herboholic

New to forum.....Meyer Lemon my fav (pic)

herboholic
16 years ago

Newbie to this forum. I belong to one other citrus forum, but like to glean useful information about citrus wherever I can. My main thing really is growing herbs. I grow a lot of them, as I do a lot cooking/baking.

My citrus is container citrus, as I am in a zone where they will need to be wintered indoors and planting them in the ground was not an option. Even if I was in an acceptable in-ground planting zone, the soil in the backyard would need some serious reconditioning and tilling with heavy machinery (lot of rock and buried concrete from new construction of our home), as it's red clay about a foot down. Which is why all my herbs are container also.

I am new to citrus, and have always wanted my own lemon trees. I now have four. Two Meyer, one Eureka and one Sambo. I should have stopped at two, :-) but rescued the Sambo and couldn't resist the Eureka.

The Meyer's and the one Eureka are fairly small, probably just under two years old.

The Eureka has two large fruits on it looking very nice.

One of the Meyer's is producing two, one about softball size, the other smaller. I am pulling off the other "fruitlets" as they are being produced, opting to let the trees put most of their energy into growing strong instead of producing fruit while still young, which would be minimal anyway. The Meyer's are producing buds like crazy. The smell is incredible! I'm attaching a picture of one loaded with buds.

The Sambo tree is older and is almost 5' tall and is bearing about 12-13 fruit right now. It will be a while before they are ripened, because if I'm correct, they don't really produce until Dec.-Jan, at least according to the information that came with the tree.

Looking forward to reading and learning more about citrus in this forum.

{{gwi:590757}}

{{gwi:590758}}

Comments (2)