SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnorange_gw

Building a retaining wall around a Dancy

johnorange
9 years ago

I am about to build a retaining wall around a dancy tangerine and would like some real-world guidance on dimensions. Thanks for your input!

I'm in SE Texas, Zone II so I planted this tree on the south side of my house where it has full protection from the house on two sides and a little more protection on a third side by a 7 ft rock wall. The tangerine is probably on trifoliate root stock. I'm quite sure I'll need to cover the tree on cold nights during our winters which will get down in the upper 20s a few nights so the wall will be multi-purpose. Covering the tree will also help protect the fruit which I understand will ripen in Dec/Jan. I will build in some holes along the wall so I can drop PVC pipe in for tarp supports. I'm trying to make the wall big enough for the root zone but I have some drainage needs so I'm trying to keep that in mind too. I built up from the existing ground with sandy soil for the tree and it's doing really well so far. The retaining wall will help hold the mound and allow me to bring up the depth of the soil in the outer perimeter.

Literature I have read says the tree will grow to 15-20 ft wide. The photo below shows a 7ft x 7ft outline I hoped to use considering other drainage plans. If the tree will really reach 15 or even 20 ft wide, that won't be big enough. How big should I make the wall? If it matters, the wall will probably be about 1 or 2 ft high.

Comments (12)