SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adiro

Two clematis to switch places

adiro
15 years ago

Hi, I have an issue: I need two of my clemies to switch places:

One is "Pink Fantasy", type 3, was planted 3 months ago, grew about 4 vines and about 5 foot tall, now is setting buds and open blooms, is behind a little rose bush ( Sea Foam) and between roots of a darn mulberry tree growing outside the yard. She's tied up to the fence by an intricate network of ropes that I create as she's growing up. If I move her, she will surely get all broken.

The other, planted about 3 weeks ago, purchased reduced and out of pity, the tag says: Warsaw Nike/Miss Curie, so possibly two clems there. This one was pitiful and I didn't think of trying to separate the plants, I don't know if I could, as there were about 6 very short vines, some growing tall but all broken. I put her at the base of the house. She is now putting out new little green leaves/sprouts, seems to have came back to life.

Problem is, Pink Fantasy gets afternoon sun, and the flowers ( pink) fade to dirty white and look bad.

Warsaw Nike ? Miss V. Curie seems to be a purple, also sets a bud now, Might be two clems in one hole, gets morning sun, purple will look bad against the dark red brick wall of the house.

So I would like to dig them both up to switch places.

I read controversial posts about spring/fall being the best time to move clems....

I expect rain in the next week, temps no higher than mid twenties ( celssius). I was thinking to dig them out and switch places now, before they get too established.

I am particularly concerned about Pink Fantasy, growing big and among roots of trees. She will be a pain to dig out, was a pain to dig in too, with all the roots that I encountered..... She's 3 month old in the ground now.... I don't know what to do.... she's a vigurous grower, but she really doesn't look too good where she is.

The other one had many big roots coming out of pot ( maybe because two clems?) but obviously mishandled and badly neglected on the shelf at the store.... Also the leafes coming out, on one vine they are singles, on another vine they are three-lobed. The rest of the vines don't have leaves,they are just starting to get green now.

Could I dig them out now? should I wait for later in the summer? next spring? Will the moving set them back another year? I dont know what to do, but sure this arrangement will not work out, color wise.

Sorry for the long post, and please advise me if you can,

thank you!

Comments (7)